Using a cracked pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rothman

Reaction score
I bought a 10 gallon stainless steel pot from Austin Homebrew Supply a little over a year ago and have used it as my HLT and Brew Kettle. I brewed this weekend and noticed a three inch long crack from the top of the pot going straight down. I brewed again the next day and noticed a second crack starting not too far from the first.

The cracks are high enough up that I can still do 5 gallon batches but I wouldn't want to try doing a 7-8 gallon batch any more. Is there anything I can do to fill the cracks? What about anything to keep more cracks from forming? Would you keep using this pot?

Picture!

I couldn't agree more Gila. I called them and they said they only have a thirty day return policy.

Very cool thread, BF. But I think I will probably end up buying a new pot rather than a torch for soldering.

What do y'all think about continuing to use this pot? Is catastrophic failure just a matter of do you think I might be able to keep using it safely?

I'd definitely call the manufacturer. I wouldn't expect any pot to crack like that. Did you send any photo's of the pot to them? I'd bet they get some real winners trying to return pots they have damaged due to abuse.

I couldn't get manufacturer information because these pots are from China. The man I spoke to said that this is why they only offer the 30 day return policy.

Any opinions or experiences in using a cracked pot? I think this will be just for the interim until I can figure out what I want to replace it with. Might be my time to step up to 10 gallon batches.

I couldn't get manufacturer information because these pots are from China. The man I spoke to said that this is why they only offer the 30 day return policy.

Any opinions or experiences in using a cracked pot? I think this will be just for the interim until I can figure out what I want to replace it with. Might be my time to step up to 10 gallon batches.

Thermal expansion and cooling is only going to make the crack creep more.

Time to get a new pot and use that one for a planter. Something chinese would be appropriate.

There is a picture linked at the end of the first post, but yes the cracks are on either side of the rivets for the handle. I would say about an inch away for the larger crack and three inches for the smaller crack. The smaller crack is in the middle of the area between the two sets of rivets for the handles.

Yep, I never put a valve in it so I lift it with my strike water and dump into my mash tun. I also dump the cooled wort into my fermenter when I am all done.

Yep, I never put a valve in it so I lift it with my strike water and dump into my mash tun. I also dump the cooled wort into my fermenter when I am all done.

The economy pots are real thin and don't hold up used like that. Sorry but time for a new sturdier pot or at least one with a ball valve.

I must have the greatest paper thin AL pot in the world. I always use the handles to pick it up when its full and no problems as of yet. I'm always surprised that handles are not designed to be used when the pot is full, seriously I only need the handles when its full. They should just take the handles off them and pass the savings along

I must have the greatest paper thin AL pot in the world. I always use the handles to pick it up when its full and no problems as of yet. I'm always surprised that handles are not designed to be used when the pot is full, seriously I only need the handles when its full. They should just take the handles off them and pass the savings along
amen
(stupid 10 char limit)

Yikes. I have the same AHBS pot, and pick it up full all the time too. Need to examine my pot tonight when I get home, not to mention think about adding a valve...

Back