Sanitizing Bottle Caps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean187

Reaction score
Has anyone ever bottled and forgot to sanitize bottle caps? Is so what happened?:ban:

I've done it without issue before. You could get an infection in one or two beers but no real danger.

That's where the spray bottle of starsan comes in handy. No big procedure. Just pull out a handful, spread them out on the dishwasher door and spray them down.

I've done many batches before the thought of sanitizing the caps even crossed my mind. Not a single gusher, blown bottle, or infection yet.

I just put some caps in a bowl with starsan. Reach in and grab as needed. It also re-sanitizes your hands throughout the process at the same time.

I've done many batches before the thought of sanitizing the caps even crossed my mind. Not a single gusher, blown bottle, or infection yet.

Yeah, I did 5 or 6 batches before I sanitized the caps and nothing ever happened. Now I just give them a boil for a few minutes.

I just put them in a small cup of starsan solution and take them out as I'm ready to cap each bottle.

Back