Star San directions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatsMcBrew

Reaction score
I just bought some Star San. The directions on the back have been obliterated. Can someone post the directions please?
Thanks!

30 seconds contact time is enough. That includes just dipping it in to wet the equipment and then waiting 30 sec. Full immersion isn't necessary. And FWIW, 1 oz. is 2 TBSP. if that's easier to measure.

It's even easier to mix up a small amount in a spray bottle and spray down everything you want to sanitize. It's a contact sanitizer so immersion isn't necessary. Just give it a good coat and you're sanitized. A liter spray bottle lasts me weeks and sanitizes all my brew equipment, plus things like cutting boards in the kitchen.

FWIW, if you mix it with distilled water, it can last years. I have a spray bottle full that's at least 2 years old and still good.

yeah, I mix up a gallon at a time with distilled water and keep it handy in growlers. Works great for keeping your airlocks full. One ten ounce bottle has lasted me about 4 months now, and I still have a couple ounces left.

If the solution gets cloudy it's not good any more. If you have very hard water, it might turn cloudy right away, that's when you definitely want to mix it with distilled or RO water.

Hmmm, good to know. I need to get some distilled water.

If the solution gets cloudy it's not good any more. If you have very hard water, it might turn cloudy right away, that's when you definitely want to mix it with distilled or RO water.

not exactly true. hard water forms precipitate turning it cloudy, yet the pH will still be 3.0 and fully effective.

I mix an old keg of starsan and keep it off pressure until I need a few ounces or so and dispense it. I have a problem keg that I cant find out where it is leaking so its a good use for it. I also hook it up to flush out lines easily in my draft system.

question: I used star san to clean my glass carboy, however there are still a ton of bubbles in it. it it ok to put the wort in or do i need to completely get all of the bubbles out
thanks

kevinmcl1978 said:
question: I used star san to clean my glass carboy, however there are still a ton of bubbles in it. it it ok to put the wort in or do i need to completely get all of the bubbles out
thanks

Don't fear the foam!

thanks

Poor the wort right in. It seems wrong the first time but its fine. Don't fear the foam!

How much star san would I add if I wanted to just make a 1 gallon batch. I can't find a conversion.

Thanks

I saw a real bottle of Star San in the wild the other day that had BOTH caps in perfect shape. I don't think I've ever seen one with unbroken caps outside the store. Though this was a pretty new bottle and was in BrewLab SF which is a homebrewing hacker space so they go through a lot. But still in was a novelty to me.

Since I've had 2 bottles of Star San with 0 unbroken caps, I'm dispensing out of a Nalgene bottle that I need to make labels for.

The directions say 1 oz / 5 gallons.

1 oz = 2 Tbsp = 6 tsp
1 gallon = 4 quarts

0.2 oz / gallon
1.2 tsp / gallon

or

1 tsp / 0.8333 gallons
1 tsp / 3.333 quarts

yeah, I mix up a gallon at a time with distilled water and keep it handy in growlers. Works great for keeping your airlocks full. One ten ounce bottle has lasted me about 4 months now, and I still have a couple ounces left.

How much do you use for 1 gallon? I realize its 1/5th of 1 oz but how much do you measure out?

Never mind, just saw page 3 with all the conversions ..

The bottle has two spouts - one with measurements that you can squeeze the SS into. I use 6mL (the line is 5mL so I just go above it a little) for one gallon. It makes lots and lots of foam!!!

The bottle has two spouts - one with measurements that you can squeeze the SS into. I use 6mL (the line is 5mL so I just go above it a little) for one gallon. It makes lots and lots of foam!!!
Mine only has 1/4 & 1/2 oz markings on the spouts :( But 1/4 oz is like 7ml so close enuf!

Foam in the water you put it in? Or foam when you spray it on stuff? Or both? :)

I plan on using distilled water if that matters..

Interesting - on one side of the bottle I have, it has 1 oz. and 1/2 oz marks, and the other side of the bottle has 30 mL, 15mL, and 5mL marks.

But yeah, a little less than 1/4 oz and you're golden.

By foam, I meant the resulting mixture makes lots of foam! LOVE THE FOAM! DO NOT FEAR THE FOAM!!!

:D

Interesting - on one side of the bottle I have, it has 1 oz. and 1/2 oz marks, and the other side of the bottle has 30 mL, 15mL, and 5mL marks.

But yeah, a little less than 1/4 oz and you're golden.

By foam, I meant the resulting mixture makes lots of foam! LOVE THE FOAM! DO NOT FEAR THE FOAM!!!

:D

OK, so I got a plastic gallon jug of distilled water .. if I add the 1/4 oz to it, that will make a lot of foam, that would probably foam out of the gallon jug? So I would need to somehow need to put that gallon in a larger container to hold it with the foam ..?

the foam dies down. it only foams when you disturb or oxygenate it. dont worry if a bit comes out the top

Back