What size cider press?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrumpyJack

Reaction score
What volume of press do I need just to make a few home brews in gallon demijohns?

Could I use 2l demijohns to ferment in or are they not big enough?

You can certainly ferment in 2L demijohns. I haven't seen a press much under 10L, plus you'll need a grinder. Cider presses are rather expensive, so unless you have larger plans, you'd be much better off buying juice.

You can certainly ferment in 2L demijohns. I haven't seen a press much under 10L, plus you'll need a grinder. Cider presses are rather expensive, so unless you have larger plans, you'd be much better off buying juice.

There are 1.5 to 5l presses on the market, also you can build your own.
I'm just wondering what's suitable for making small batches every year.

Does a 10l press make 10l of juice or less?

The volume of the press is the volume of milled apples. It isn't very important because you just keep pressing batches until you get the required volume. The basket type press are intended for grapes but will do for apples.
I personally think its much better value (and fun) to build your own press, there are lots of instructions on the internet.

Back