Corona recepie?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
I have a friend that LOVES corona. Always uses a lime in it. I was thinking of making a corona tasting beer and adding some lime juice, most likely 10 or so smaller limes. Does anyone have a corona clone recepie? Would anyone have an idea how to mimmic it? Any and all imput would be appreciated. (I know, I don't really like corona either, well, it's alright, just like a Totino's pizza is alright. Still not GREAT, but is kinda yummy in its own way.):confused:

mysterio said:
You could brew the recipe in this thread for your 'friend' ;) :D
har har, ok, I'll take a jab in the ribs. I'll drink quite a bit of this batch as well. Don't love corona myself, but it isn't all that bad, not what I'd choose to drink while out, at the grocery store or with friends, but when offered a corona I don't turn it down. :tank: What I got from that link is to make a corona clone I must lager it. And that unique corona taste that borders on sweetness is corn. And that recepie linked by david_42 (THANK YOU by the way! :D )calls for .5 lbs crystal malt(obviously steeped) and 2 lbs rice flaked. Is the rice flaked also steeped? I am assuming so, don't see any 2-row or 6-row malt where the enzymes are to mash. If I need to do a minimash could I throw the grains in a big grain/hop bag and more or less make a tea(@156 degrees F for 60-90 min) then do several "Batch Sparges" in my fry daddy? There wouldn't be any way to use the grainbed to filter any of the grain out, would this pose a problem with tannins or would it just settle out in the primary? If I were to use some corn in there as well to get the "corona taste" how much do I use? What kind do I use? Would that be steeped as well? And is one oz pellets the same as one oz whole hops for calculating bitterness? Since I don't have a freezer set up for lagering yet, would any ale (maybe hefe??) yeasts work to mimic the flavor? My house is almost always a constant 65 degrees, from what I've read, a perfect ale temp. I'll also be pouring the juice from 10(?) limes into it in the primary. Hope I can nail down a recepie by friday, that's when I'll be making it. Thanks so far for the help. Always appreciated! =)

Hmm - I didn't actually look at that recipe but It seems a bit strange. You're right, flaked rice or corn isn't going to convert without any enzymes.

Use rice syrup/extract instead of the flaked rice. If you want corn, you're going to have to do an all grain batch... I personally think you'll be ok with the rice. For hops, if you're using whole use 10% more than pellets. For yeast, you mentioned you don't have lagering facilities, so you're looking for a clean ale yeast. White Labs German ale (can't remember the code) would probably be your best bet, or anything with European or Kolsch in the name. Also California Common is a lager yeast that can be fermented warm and would be a good bet. In a pinch, you could use the cali ale, US-56 or american ale strain.

Another thing, I probably wouldn't bother with the lime juice in the primary... just add it to the bottle.

If you want an authentic corona taste leave it in 100F heat and sunlight in clear bottles.(j/k)

G. Cretin said:
If you want an authentic corona taste leave it in 100F heat and sunlight in clear bottles.(j/k)

you think the coronas you get here are bad, go down to mexico and drink theirs. at least the distributors here know about the sunlight issue.

G. Cretin said:
HAHAHAHAH!!! ROFLMAO!!! I've thought about that to get that skunky taste, HAHAHAHAHA!!!

I'll defend your right to brew a Corona clone and actually started posting here with that stated straight up: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9826

I purchased a Corona Clone kit from Austin's Homebrew. Its listed as their AHS Mexican Pilsner. Here is the link: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_21_46_42_160&products_id=300&osCsid=fb66cca8fa3ce5edd47ac8d891b31419

Its still lagering and so I can't tell you how it turned out for another month or so. If you seen my other posts you'll know I'm in the process or building a walk-in cooler specifically for lagering and cold storage. I don't have the ingredients / recipe sheet on me (I remember there isn't much to it) but I could post it later if you'd like.

The only way to drink corona is out of the brown quart bottles (caguamas) direct from the corner market. Its hard to believe that those are the same beers as the ones you can get in the U.S. So skunky.

Back