Michelob doing good things?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I recently found out from a post on here that Shock Top was made by Michelob. I've tried it before, but only cause it is what SWMBO was drinking and didn't think it was half bad. Then I bought some Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale, which I didn't find out that was brewed by Michelob until I got home with it. It also was pretty good. Then today I was at the store and saw they have a pale ale. I didn't pick it up, but am interested to see if it is any good. Is this Michelob actually trying to brew good beer or are they just trying to cater to the craft beer crowd without being actual craft brewers?

The Pale Ale has become my cheap beer standby. It's middle of the road for the style but a good buy for the price. The others missed the mark for me.

Michelobe is promoting a craft series consisting of 8 beers I think. I am looking forward to seeing them and at least giving them a try.

I thought the burbon cask ale was vile. I've never had any of their other "craft" offerings.

I kinda like their specialty beers. The Bourbon Cask ale was my least favorite though - I think the vanilla put me off. I liked the Marzen and Pale Ale the best out of their sampler pack. If this stuff had been around before you could get decent craft brews in my neck of the woods I would have bought it religiously but there are so many other choices now that these get lost in the noise. Beautiful, yummy noise!

I haven't had them all but the ones i have had i liked. They weren't great but for a commercial beer they were pretty good. Plus they are pop tops so you can save the bottles.

I always liked the cask ale on tap, but the case i bought seemed way sweeter. And yes, the vanilla seemed more overpowering.

On tap, I recalled it being a lot more mellow and rather good.

I too was surprised to see it was a Michelob product (when I bought the case)

The labels come off really easily though!

I bought a sampler 12 pack of Michelob beers a few months ago, the APA was ok, the porter was actually pretty decent, and the rest were not very good.

I personally really like the Pale Ale. I picked it up because I went searching for cheap bottles I could reuse. Now it's my go-to beer when I'm running low on my homebrew.

I had some of the beers from the sampler 12 pack at a Party yesterday. The Pale Ale wasn't bad, it just tasted like regular Michelob that was dry hopped. The Irish Red wasn't too bad but was pretty thin tasting, and the Marzen was crap. I didn't get a chance to drink the Porter, they were all gone by then. All in all not terrible, but nothing to get excited about, glad I didn't spend the money on it.

I'm choking down enjoying a nice, cold Shock Top Belgian style Wheat right now that I find sucks very enjoyable.

AHHHHHH NOT SHOCK TOP!!!! My wife bought me 12 of this swill from the grocery store (I started a thread about it). It is horrible!! I tried pawning them off on family when they were over for Christmas dinner and I literally wound up pouring 5 or 6 three-quarter full bottles down the drain after everyone left because they thought the same of it as I did. I still have 4 or 5 of em left and was thinking of using them for target practice.

Yeah, Coors bought out Blue Moon I think.

Is the Winter Cask Ale a different recipe now than it was in the past? It only recently took on the Michelob label, though it was always ab A-B brew. I tried it last winter, not realizing it was an A-B product, and it tasted like a Budweiser with a vanilla bean floating in it. I thought it was really terrible.

i did not really care for the cask ale when i had it a while back. I did like the mich porter when i had it at beer fest, but who knows how tained my taste buds were by then ha ha ha.

Shock Top is horrible. I do not have any idea how that product is still on the market. It is absolutely miserable.

I had a their standarded Lager on New Years and thought it was as good as any american lager I've ever had. Also, I like the Dunkel Weiss and I remember thinking their Bavarian Weiss was pretty good too.

On the the other hand, I had the Winter Bourbon Cask ale at the brewery in STL and thought it was really bad.

Had the Dunkel and did not think it was all bad. Have not tried any of the other's though. I went to Madison, WI this week and loaded up on good beer. Capitol, New Glarus and Lake Louie mmmmmmmmmmm.

Coors developed and brewed Blue Moon - Well, their brewmaster at Coors field did. They never had to buy it out.

As far as the BMC craft beers I haven't tried anything but Shock Top. I don't mind it as long as it has a lemon in there to tone it down a little....yeah yeah, fruit in beer bad and all that, but I didn't think it was horrible that way.

Inbev bought Anheuser-Busch. They also own a bunch of Belgian brewery's as well as a bunch in South America. There the biggest brewery now. I bet the buy out has something to do with all the craft Michelob beers coming out. I love the Mic Pale Ale.

My all time favorite thirst quenching light beer is Bud. It has a clean tast with a slight hint of banana to me.

I tried the dunkle yesterday. It actually tasted like a dunkle. I was surprised. I suppose it was a little thin and there seemed to be a strange finish to it (but it could have just been my taste buds at the time), but not bad at all. I've had much worse dunkles than this. That said, I probably wouldn't buy it again. But I think I'll pick up the porter next time.

Inbev bought Anheuser-Busch. They also own a bunch of Belgian brewery's as well as a bunch in South America. There the biggest brewery now. I bet the buy out has something to do with all the craft Michelob beers coming out. I love the Mic Pale Ale.

My all time favorite thirst quenching light beer is Bud. It has a clean tast with a slight hint of banana to me.

The Inbev purchase is still very new. There is no way they've developed anything new for market since then. In fact, they're still working on consolidation at this point, and closing down old breweries they don't think they need anymore.

The Michelob "craft" stuff has been out for a couple of years now. It is just an attempt to grab market share from the real craft industry, same as BAA. It isn't very good, and it doesn't come home with me. There's always a better choice in my opinion.

I was about to make a post about the Porter before I found this. I picked it up last week because I've wanted to try a porter before brewing a batch and it sounded good. Being my first porter, I had no idea what to expect. I'll admit, I was on the fence after the first beer, but with each subsequent one, I've grown fonder of the brew.

IMG_0471.jpg

Not to mention, Michelob's got an awesome rebate deal where you supply the receipts and proofs of purchase for 4 of the 6 packs and they send you a check for $15. I don't know about you, but 24 beers for $9 bucks isn't too bad.

I was just at Target the other day and walked down the beer aisle. They have a little section of individual beers for sale for like $1.50 each. There was a Michelob beer there that looked like an IPA. I can't find it on their website, and the seasonal beer for Spring is not yet updated, but it I think it was a red label and it included the word "Hop" in the name somehow. I kind of laughed at the notion of a hoppy IPA from them and walked on. Now I kind of wish I actually bought it for $1.50.

I can only imagine one reason a brewery who has a huge fanbase of tasteless
beer would start creating craft beer.

It's called cashing in on the "craft" trend.

I won't bash it before I try it but I expect nothing but mediocrity from mentality
that follows this kind of pursuit.

Ever heard of Lienekugels.... yeah that sucks too.

You must be crazy. Leinenkugels Honey Weiss is amazing! I won't personally drink the stuff, but after 3 of them, my wife passes right the **** out and I can have a night out with the boys. :D

Edited: Seriously though, why the heck do these come in screw-type bottles? I hate buying beer and knowing that I can't use the bottles.

I was about to make a post about the Porter before I found this. I picked it up last week because I've wanted to try a porter before brewing a batch and it sounded good. Being my first porter, I had no idea what to expect. I'll admit, I was on the fence after the first beer, but with each subsequent one, I've grown fonder of the brew.

Not to mention, Michelob's got an awesome rebate deal where you supply the receipts and proofs of purchase for 4 of the 6 packs and they send you a check for $15. I don't know about you, but 24 beers for $9 bucks isn't too bad.

I just sent in my rebate today!:mug:

I think it is cool that Mich is even trying this. I have had the Dunkelweizen and found it was better than I was expecting. It is by no means a Franziskaner, but for the price I didn't feel like I blew my money. The only other special Mich I tried was that crap in a bottle they like to call "Shock Top"..... I am a tight wad so I drank the stuff, but never.... ever again.

I think it is cool that Mich is even trying this. I have had the Dunkelweizen and found it was better than I was expecting. It is by no means a Franziskaner, but for the price I didn't feel like I blew my money. The only other special Mich I tried was that crap in a bottle they like to call "Shock Top"..... I am a tight wad so I drank the stuff, but never.... ever again.

They're "trying" this because they see a market that has exploded and they're trying to get a piece of it. This has NOTHING to do with craft beer and everything to do with big corporations trying to stifle markets.

The more "craft" choices Michelob has in a store, the less shelf space there is for real craft beer. And the big guys have major pull in what gets placed on shelves. This isn't a positive for the beer scene in a lot of ways. Even a brewery as big as Stone can't compete for shelf space against the BMC world.

Blue Moon has always been a Coors product from it's beginning. It was first developed at The Sandlot in Coors Stadium in Denver and then became a full production brew.

edit...

Maybe I should read the entire post before posting already given info... :D

Try some honeywiess next time. I think I hate that beer more than any other. I find it vile and refuse to drink it. Even when it is free... yeah I hate it that much.

i totally agree, but the one that takes the cake for me from leine's is the sunset wheat or whatever the hell it's called. i seriously almost vomited when i took a sip of that stuff.

i've also tried the dunkelweisse from michelob, it's no ayinger, but it is drinkable. haven't tried any of the others though.

Try some honeywiess next time. I think I hate that beer more than any other. I find it vile and refuse to drink it. Even when it is free... yeah I hate it that much.

i totally agree, but the one that takes the cake for me from leine's is the sunset wheat or whatever the hell it's called. i seriously almost vomited when i took a sip of that stuff.

i've also tried the dunkelweisse from michelob, it's no ayinger, but it is drinkable. haven't tried any of the others though.

Leine's Summer Shandy. Simply awful.

I don't mind Leine Creamy Dark all that much and the Mich Porter is pretty good.

I am willing to try any beer once at with a rebate like that, I'll go for it.

I also like their new commercial, but I just like looking at the hops.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9iLq9iAglc]YouTube - Michelob Director's Cut Audio Producers Group[/ame]

leine's used to have one called 'northwoods' that i thought was pretty good (in high school) but i don't think they make it anymore.

what's this rebate all about??

The more "craft" choices Michelob has in a store, the less shelf space there is for real craft beer. And the big guys have major pull in what gets placed on shelves. This isn't a positive for the beer scene in a lot of ways. Even a brewery as big as Stone can't compete for shelf space against the BMC world.
At my local grocery all the big brands get the big display cooler. Rogue/Stone/etc. get a small unrefrigerated shelf stuck in the corner...some not even visible if standing at the refrigerated display cooler. I literally did not know they even carried the high-$ stuff until I searched around.

I tried their porter and was not really a big fan of it. They make Amber Bock right? That's usually what I get when it's the fanciest thing on tap, which is sadly far too often.

Back