Steeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dextersmom

Reaction score
Could anyone enlighten me as to their steeping technique? I book that i've read says to steep starting in cool water and heat slowly to 170 degrees then remove bag and sparge the bag if desired.

Everything I read here mentions to steep at 150ish for a set amount of time.

what is the difference / benefits. and how do you maintain temps. do you simple play a game with the knob and keep it as close as possible to the desired temp?

how do you maintain temps. do you simple play a game with the knob and keep it as close as possible to the desired temp?
That's how I do it. I try to keep it between 150 and 155.

The difference between this method and starting with cold water, ramping up to 170 is that the constant temperature method is supposedly more efficient in extracting more flavor

I bring my temp up to 157 -160 (I'm trying to steep at 155) and then shut off the gas and put the lid on. I stir occasionally and when the temp starts to get below 152, I start the flame back up. I do this for the duration. Usually it only takes 2 relights.

I bring my temp to 155 and then, yes, I fiddle with the knobs until it is holding a constant temp. Then I place my grains and make any heat adjustments needed to get back to 155. You'll find that after a few brews you will know where to set your burners.

Just an FYI, whichever method you use, do not allow the water to get above 170 as this may result in tannin extraction and off flavors.

I have also heard some one sugest preheating the oven and placing the pot in once you hit your desired temp on the stove top.

And I supose you could do it like mashing and heat the water to +5deg and put it in a cooler with the grain bag. Would be good if you don't want to tie up the stove.

sounds good! thanks a bunch guys. I'll try that on my next batch. Gonna do up the Imperial Stout recipe i've been eyeing up.

Has anyone tried steeping with cheap vodka instead of low gravity wort? Temp should hold at about 170F until all the alcohol has boiled off, plus the alcohol should help pull oils out of the hops. This is a little like how they pull aromatics off flowers and herbs for perfume etc.

Paul

Back