Collecting blowoff yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asterix404

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I had the experience that most people have when they first need to use a blowoff tube. My carboy was about to explode with krausen so I shoved some tubing I had around into the bung and dropped the tube in water. Everything was sanitized. Now I have essentially an open air waterlock on my fermenting beer. I was wondering about how to crop this yeast. I mean, this is the best yeast bar none possible. It would be clean, very fresh, extremely healthy and active, and best yet... free. I found this system called a Burton Union System

http://byo.com/stories/item/351-build-a-burton-union-system-projects

and I was wondering if anyone has something similar. I mostly do wheat beers or german styles with yeast that has extremely vigorous fermentation. Top cropping is key, particularly for wheat yeast. This seems like a closed system apart from opening it up after the fermentation and collecting all of that wonderful yeast. I could even stick a bit of starter liquid in the container to give the yeast something to eat. What do you think? For 20$, this pays for itself in about 2 beers. Are there better options available? This looks like a tiny and fun project.

that looks great. nice and clean, and easy to clean after use. my 2 euro-cents: you can get great and cheap plastic quick disconnects, i would consider using those on the tubing so you can easily remove the jar. and i personally would avoid putting wort in there, the fresh yeast doesn't need food so you don't really have much to gain, and i think you're asking for trouble having a potential infection waiting around for some yeast to find its way up there.

Back