German Pils Gruis Pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgruis

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
SafLager S33
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 50F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 days @ 68F D Rest
Additional Fermentation
Lager at 35 for 1 month
Tasting Notes
Excellent Beer
18 lbs German Pilsner
2 lbs Munich Malt

Mash @ 150F for 60 min's

1.5 oz Northern Brewer 60 mins
2.5 oz Hallertauer 10 mins

My family is from North Western Germany so I tried to focus on recreating a pilsner lager that was in the style of Jever, a popular local beer.

This is my house "lawn mowing beer". It's also a big hit with the BMC crowd...but still flavorfull enough to make me happy!

Enjoy

I'm new to brewing, and have only helped with a few. I'd like to try this one out, but I have a few questions.

Can you describe the flavor of this beer?

When you say "1.5 oz Northern Brewer 60 mins", do you mean this is how long you let them boil? So it would be a total boil of about an hour and 10 minutes?

31.1 IBU's with an OG of 1.047 seems quite high, according to charts I've seen. What do you think it would be like to use only 2 oz of the Hallertauer hops?

Sounds interesting at 150 degrees. Here's my problem: I brew at an altitude of 8500 ft. Water boils there at about 160 (maybe a bit more). So, I don't want to "overcook" the mash but do want to get it high enough so it's not so light. Do you think maybe 156 would be best at that altitude?

That's a tough one, Summerblaze. I'd talk to someone more regional to you about that issue, since they may have more insight into what to properly do to account for your elevation differences.

Back