over smoked a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avm221

Reaction score
ok so i made a imperial stout all grain 22lbs of grain when i got all i needed to out of the mash ton i added 1lbs of smoked malt and a few other things it was about 4 more lbs and added 6 gals of water and was going for a session beer when i was doing the boil i added 2 lbs of DME and now i have a week over smoked porter 5% abv in secondary that smells like your in a campfire is there anything i can do to counter act this. i was hoping to have a light session beer to put into my keg but not sure if i want to drink this all the time.

I'm trying to decipher what you mean and it's tough. You used too much smoked malt. Try again?

yes it smells like a camp fire, way to much smoke, i haven't used smoked malt a lot befor and didn't know that 1lbs would be so much, its in secondary with 5%abv is there anything i can do at this point?

ya maybe ill split it into 2 carboys and make a light extract batch. ill see how it tastes in a few weeks

ok so i made a imperial stout all grain 22lbs of grain when i got all i needed to out of the mash ton i added 1lbs of smoked malt and a few other things it was about 4 more lbs and added 6 gals of water and was going for a session beer when i was doing the boil i added 2 lbs of DME and now i have a week over smoked porter 5% abv in secondary that smells like your in a campfire is there anything i can do to counter act this. i was hoping to have a light session beer to put into my keg but not sure if i want to drink this all the time.

1. Punctuation is your friend. And it's free to use.

2. I get worried about a brewer when I see things like, " i added 1lbs of smoked malt and a few other things". What other things? Did you write it down? Did you randomly pour a bag of grain in the mash? Details matter if you want people to analyze what happened. For best results, post your entire recipe.

3. You were making an Imperial stout with 26 total pounds of grain and DME, but your goal was a "light session beer"? What? Dude, I'd HIGHLY recommend reading a bit more about recipe formulation before brewing. If you're only at 5% ABV, I have to assume you were making a large batch... Again, we need your recipe, including your final volume. BTW, "session" and "imperial" are on the opposite sides of the brewing world... a beer can't be both.

I don't know? I just made a smoked ale that used 1 pound of Oak Smoked wheat malt and another .1 pound of peat smoked malt in a total of 9.18 pounds. 5 gallon batch. It is smoky but not overpowering.

I never judge anything by the taste or smell until at least ready to package. Even then I had some that I was doubtful about then after carbed properly they were very good.

27 pounds of grain and another 2 pounds of dme and you have a weak 5% abv? Was this a 20 gallon batch? Recipe?

I used a half pound of rauchmalt in my dark hybrid lager & it got lost. you must've had a American smoked malt for only 1lb to make it too smoky?!

no your getting the wrong idea.

i mashed 22lbs of grain for an imperial stout, pulled 6.5gal of wort from that. when i was done with the grains for the imperial stout i added 4 lbs of specialty grains and then added 6 gals of 140F water. for a session beer i reused the mash from the stout thinking that there would still be some sugars and flavors in there. i think i over smoked it. well hopefully it will calm down a little right now its vary smokey.

the stout that i made came out great its at 8%abv

The human nose is very sensitive to smoke, It may be fine By the time it hits your palate. I used 1 lb American smoked malt in an amber ale before, and I remember thinking it was too much at first also. But it was very drinkable, granted not something I wanted to drink all the time. Smoke plays better with dark ales (good news for your porter) I would bottle it instead of kegging, give it a little age, taste it, and then think of blending if you don't like it.

Let it ride.... It may turn out fine once it's conditioned for a while.

I was able to decipher that you had partigyled and capped your mash... So you weren't totally confusing in the OP :)

I think at this point it is what it is. I wouldn't spend any time or money to save it, but I would go ahead and bottle it up when the time comes and see how it turns out. It could take a year or two for the camp fire to go out, but unless space and bottles are a premium for you, let it ride and see what happens.

well i guess ill let it ride for a while and ill leave it alone in the basement, most likely it wont go into the keg but ill bottle it and let it age for a few months, and if i don't drink it all there will always others who will

I made a smoked porter with 2 lbs. of smoked malt... way smokey at first. Its now 8 months old and ageing nicely. Smoke is subtle now. Let it ride my friend.

Age it for 6 months and then it will taste and smell like a smoked ham sammich served on a chocolate bun.

kh54s10 said:
I don't know? I just made a smoked ale that used 1 pound of Oak Smoked wheat malt and another .1 pound of peat smoked malt in a total of 9.18 pounds. 5 gallon batch. It is smoky but not overpowering.

I never judge anything by the taste or smell until at least ready to package. Even then I had some that I was doubtful about then after carbed properly they were very good.

27 pounds of grain and another 2 pounds of dme and you have a weak 5% abv? Was this a 20 gallon batch? Recipe?

I just impulse bought a pound of each of those same two malts. What did you do and how'd they turn out?

There both in seconday right now, the smoked beer is at 5abv and the stout is looking good at 8abv, I tasted them as they went into secondary and they were both veary good tasting.

well it is done and keged, the smoked beer turned out to have some contamination, it tastes almost like it is a little like a sour beer but the imperial stout is in a bottle and went up to 9.2%abv

Latest posts

Back