Any babies born on/near a brew day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my wife is having our first baby soon. The due date is April 22. To commemorate my son's birth (and my wife's triumphant return to alcoholic beverage consumption), I've got a saison bottled and conditioned, ready to open when we get back from the hospital. I also have a mead in a carboy ready to bottle, so I'll have something to cellar for a few years.

But the supply of everyday drinkin' beer in my kegerator is rapidly dwindling. Out of 3 taps, 1 is now empty and another is close behind. I brewed Saturday, so that'll go in the empty slot when it's ready. But I still need to brew 1 more to refill that other keg that's almost empty.

I work Mon-Fri, so that leaves Sat/Sun as possible brew days. And this Sat/Sun (April 6-7) are out because we already have plans. That leaves me with 2 free weekends before the baby is born ... if he doesn't come early.

Do I tempt fate and brew the weekend of April 13-14, a mere 9 days before our due date? My fear is that she will go into early labor at the precise moment I mash in to start my 8-hour brew day, leaving me a very difficult choice of where to focus my attention. :D

Or do I just wait and plan on brewing during the first month after the baby's born? I'll be off from work, but I keep hearing something about "no sleep" ...

I'm looking for some shared experience from the recent dads (and moms too) out there on HBT. How soon after the birth of a baby were you able to start brewing again? How shortly before your baby was born did you brew? And if anyone has any awesome stories about a wife/girlfriend/babymama going into labor during your brew session, I'd love to hear it!

Cheers!

I have no such story, but I'd go on and brew. Worst case, it sits in primary for an extra week or two.

The sleep thing really varies per child.

I don't have a good story...four kids, but not a good story. I'd brew the 13th. Also, consider brewing a barleywine or a sour or something else that will age well and that you can open with him/her on their 21st birthday. I think a 21 year old barleywine would be sweet.

Obviously talk it over with your wife, but frankly brewing within the first week after you come home from the hospital might be the best bet...

1) At that age, the baby needs nothing from Daddy -- just Mommy.
2) You're more likely to have visitors / relatives / friends that would just LOVE to help your wife out while you brew.
3) You're going to be off work and home anyway. You're going to be BORED.

New babies are fun, but they don't really do anything. They eat, sleep, and poop. If they're crying, it's because they need to do (or just did) one of the above. And given that it's your first child, you'll have a lot of downtime.

Do you brew in the garage? Just do a load of laundry for your wife while you're brewing, and you might even get a medal!

I have a friend whose wife's water broke 1 week early in the middle of a 10 gallon boil- got an emergency call to come over and finish the batch for him!

Called it Baby Booty Blonde!

Awesome! Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've been getting lots of parenting advice I don't want ... It's nice to get some that I actually do want. :D

We've talked it over and we're going to take our chances and plan on brewing the 13th. The risk is pretty low and she's comfortable with the idea. And if we she does go into labor in the middle of the brew, if nothing else we have a great story to tell him when he's older!

The barleywine idea is a great one. Sounds like a good way to kill some time in the first couple of weeks after he's born. That and laundry ...

Thanks all. :mug:

I no nothing of this no sleep thing you talk about our 5 month old has sleep thru the night every night since he was born lol it's pretty nice. Don't sweat that yet you could get lucky like us or you could have those crazy long nights of crying baby. But till then brew on and get ready to enjoy the life of fatherhood it's amazing

My wife crushed the grains with me in the garage the day before we went to the hospital. Brewed the next morning and we went to the hospital that afternoon. My son was born the following evening.

As said, brew right away. So many people will be around that an afternoon brewing will be a well needed escape.

Baby number 3 will turn 6 weeks old tomorrow. I've actually brewed 4 batches (one was cider, so it doesnt count) since we brought her home.

It helps that I brew outside and the weather has been incredible on my last 2 brew days. My boys (3 and almost 5) hang out with me all day. They stay out of mommy's hair for a while. Last brew day, she actually got a nap when the baby slept.

(fyi, most cliche parenting advice is "sleep when the baby sleeps".. great advice for your first kid.. doesn't work so well when you have more than 1).

Get your brew day before the kiddo comes. Things can get a little overwhelming with your 1st just because it's an experience that you can't really prepare for and even then, each kid is so different.

Just make sure your wife is cool when you ready to brew again. She may not be herself for a few weeks. All the crazy hormonal changes and lack of sleep can lead to emotional situations.

Did I give you enough bad advice? I have alot more!

shawnbou said:
Awesome! Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've been getting lots of parenting advice I don't want ... It's nice to get some that I actually do want. :D

We've talked it over and we're going to take our chances and plan on brewing the 13th. The risk is pretty low and she's comfortable with the idea. And if we she does go into labor in the middle of the brew, if nothing else we have a great story to tell him when he's older!

The barleywine idea is a great one. Sounds like a good way to kill some time in the first couple of weeks after he's born. That and laundry ...

Thanks all. :mug:

Eh, most kids take a while to arrive. Better to spend the first few hours brewing than sitting around in a boring hospital!

I'd go on & plan to brew next weekend keeping in mind that you may have to postpone in case the baby decides to come out. I was planning to brew before my 8 month old daughter was born but she needed to come out a few weeks early so I just stuck my starter in the fridge and brewed just a week or two after she was born.

Nothing to do with babies but I'm not sure a barleywine will still be good in 21 years. Sure, they keep well for awhile but that's a pretty long time. I don't think sours stay good for that long either. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I think your mead should do the trick, though.

Were having our fourth in about 5 weeks......and my advice would be to wait. Your first is always the most up in the air, interms of how everything is going to go down (Pun intended:D) your going to want to leave your calender open. Your life is also going to be crazy beyond what you can even imagine, you might not even remember it for a while afterwards either. Good luck Man!!:mug:

SharonaZamboni said:
Eh, most kids take a while to arrive. Better to spend the first few hours brewing than sitting around in a boring hospital!

Yeah, but *zero* parents-to-be listen to the advice that you don't need to rush in at the *first* sign of labor. Your suggestion may be heeded for a second or third baby, but not #1 ;-)

Yeah, but *zero* parents-to-be listen to the advice that you don't need to rush in at the *first* sign of labor. Your suggestion may be heeded for a second or third baby, but not #1 ;-)
I gotta admit, my wife is pretty chill about this whole thing. When I pitched this idea to her, I asked her what she thought I should do if she went into labor while I was brewing ... she basically said "I'll hang out on the couch and wait while you finish brewing. Then we'll go to the hospital."

I think it's safe to say I'm more nervous about the idea than she is.

bwarbiany said:

True. But sometimes second, third, etc. are quicker. My 2 &3 were only two hours each!!

Latest posts

Back