Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the picture, looks like you took it from inside the carboy! Did you have to shrink yourself down "Innerspace" style to get it?

its a better bottle. put the lense right against the clear part of the plastic. i think it was phone pic to boot.

2owDP.jpg

Here's mine!! La Folie clone 3 months in with Wyeast Belgian Lambic Blend. This is the longest I've gone without tasting my beer. The anticipation is killing me!!

pellicle3mos.jpg

Question...I'm about 8 months into my peche lambic. Pellicle hasn't fallen yet.

Planning to bottle soon. Will i need to add some basic ale yeast with my priming solution to get carbonation? I've never waited this long on any home brew, so a bit of advice is appreciated. THANKS!

i've never had a problem with my blended sours carbing. youngest part is around 6 months. oldest, about 2 years. they'll take longer to carb, and won't ever get highly carbonated, but imo, they come out perfect with the usual amount of priming sugar you'd use on a typical non-sour ale. but it depends what you want. if you're looking for sparkling, foaming, heady carbonation, i'd say just prime more and wait longer. i don't think adding additional yeast is really necessary.

1 week after i added 2.4 oz of unsanitized cacao nibs to a 1.027 milk stout. gettin' funky. looks like brett to me. anyone else?

1.jpg

fivepoundpossum said:
1 week after i added 2.4 oz of unsanitized cacao nibs to a 1.027 milk stout. gettin' funky. looks like brett to me. anyone else?

Dude there's more headspace than beer...

What in the world is that going to taste like?! Did you go into a field and pick as many "herbs" as you could find? :ban:

I have no idea, really. I made one before on an IPA base with the same ingredients minus the Stinging Nettle. I didn't sour it, but it picked up some wild yeast from a sprig of culinary rosemary I dry-hopped it with. The mugwort made it tart and citrusy, with the wild yeast adding a nice tart bite on the end. I went overboard with this one and the Stinging Nettle made it far too bitter to enjoy, so I decided to sour and age this one until the bitterness died down.

And yes, I forage wild herbs for my ancient ale recreations, but sadly nettle was out of season when I did this. I ordered the nettle through wildweeds.com

passedpawn said:
I've crafted the perfect Wet/Dry Vac Sour. It's all the rage now. I'm guessing that's the lacto spreading out there. From 3rd Gen. Roeselare.

Ha! Take a slant off that bad boy!

I've crafted the perfect Wet/Dry Vac Sour. It's all the rage now. I'm guessing that's the lacto spreading out there. From 3rd Gen. Roeselare.

2012-12-15-at-113000-57649.jpg

2012-12-15-at-112949-57651.jpg

Bottle it and send some to Creamy. He'll drink anything.

image-3188378427.jpg

For months this was just a few specks of white on a dark gruit I brewed in August. A couple days ago it exploded into this. My guess is lacto.

2012-12-15-at-113000-57649.jpg

2012-12-15-at-112949-57651.jpg

This is funny!

The scary thing is that I went to a brewery in Canada that did some sours. I got a little tour of the place and while I was walking around I saw a mop bucket that had a pellicle on it. :eek:

That wet/dry vac pic is incredible. Too funny.

Here's my 100% brett sour blonde. It's probably 3 months old, give or take. The pic is a little misleading, as it looks like a fairly thick pellicle, but it's actually a very thin layer:

100% Brett Sour Blonde Pellicle.jpg

image-351996777.jpg

One day into the Berliner Weisse using a homemade lacto starter. She's really ripping away!!! No added yeast and fermenting in the garage between 75*-80*F. I may have to do a sample in a few days. The starter was awesomely tart.

One day into the Berliner Weisse using a homemade lacto starter. She's really ripping away!!! No added yeast and fermenting in the garage between 75*-80*F. I may have to do a sample in a few days. The starter was awesomely tart.

That don't look like no pellicle to me, boss!:cross:

TNGabe said:
That don't look like no pellicle to me, boss!:cross:

Look close, you can see where the pellicle was and its begun to krausen underneath it. When I left for work this am it had just a thin film typical from what I had in the lacto starter and other Berliner Weisse fermentations. When I hot home it looked like this with the krausen pushing through. Now it's at full on krausen with no sign of a pellicle. As mentioned there is no added yeast, may have some wild yeast in there too seeing as this was using the no boil method!

Look close, you can see where the pellicle was and its begun to krausen underneath it. When I left for work this am it had just a thin film typical from what I had in the lacto starter and other Berliner Weisse fermentations. When I hot home it looked like this with the krausen pushing through. Now it's at full on krausen with no sign of a pellicle. As mentioned there is no added yeast, may have some wild yeast in there too seeing as this was using the no boil method!

A pellicle is formed by brettanomyces, not lacto, and they don't spring up on the first day of fermentation. Looks typical of a berlinerweisse fermentation to me.

Soma said:
A pellicle is formed by brettanomyces, not lacto, and they don't spring up on the first day of fermentation. Looks typical of a berlinerweisse fermentation to me.

I disagree, based on experience alone. The lacto starter was huge, 2000ml. The starter formed a pellicle with only grains see attached photos of the starter before and after stepping up. As stated there may be some wild yeast from the grains or the fact that its a no boil Berliner. The fact that there was a pellicle forming after a day doesn't surprise me from what I saw happen in the starter. The starter also has a very definite lacto taste, smell, and sourness. When checked yesterday morning there was a very definite thin bio film on the surface. As you can see in the earlier photo there are still some large bubbles from the pellicle that did not break from the aggressive fermentation at the time the photo was taken.

image-2408313592.jpg

image-1690230527.jpg

and they don't spring up on the first day of fermentation.

Not true, post 324 is a picture of my beer that totally formed a pellicle then started fermentation. It was brett though so I'm not getting into the lacto doesn't make a pellicle debate, even though I disagree.

Soma said:

Disagree. I had a pellicle on a Berliner Weiss innoculated using yogurt, not grain.

I mashed as normal, raised it with a bit of boiling water to mash out, then let it cool to below 120F in my cooler with plastic wrap on the surface of the mash. Then added a tub of yogurt labelled with lactobacillus bulgaricus. It would drop to about 100F after 8 hrs then I'd add a little boiling water to raise it back up. After 3 days, I lautered and sparged and continued through a boil as a normal beer, except only 15min boil. The yogurt also had a streptococcus strain which added some ropey black culture in with the white webby lacto pellicle.

Have you tasted it yet Quaker? I regularly ferment pickles and peppers using the liquid from the top of greek yogurt and they all get powdery pellicles.

Powdery is a much, much better description. I made it back in May. The 4 plain bottles I kept of it were great. But I put the bulk of it on sour cherries for several weeks. The result of which didn't suit my tastes. I think the whole fruit added too much tannins to it. Once a gallon was gone from the keg, I topped it off with a 100% Brett L beer. It wasn't much better. I doubt I drank a gallon before I pulled it from the fridge. It's been sitting at room temp ever since. I haven't needed the keg, so it hasn't been dumped. I last tasted it on December 2nd. It might work well to blend with a sweeter brown or red ale base and immediately chill. That may happen or it may find the drain.

I forgot to mention the lacto was inadvertently carried over to the fermentation. I had done a short 15minute boil. I'm guessing I "contaminated" it with a spoon used to stir and aerate it. I fermented in my kettle. That's where the pellicle formed, not in the mash.

Back