Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks completely normal.

Cheers!

Thanks! This is my first batch ever and the recipe I was given was with steeping grains so I was a little concerned that I was over my head. If this looks right then I am a happy guy!

Really hate to post, but this is a special beer I do not want to mess up...

RIS OG 1.108 FG 1.022-4 currently estimated at 11.6%. Sat in primary for 3-4 weeks so last week I racked it onto 2 cut vanilla beans soaked in 100 proof vodka for 3 days as well as 8 oz of 60% cacao chips. Well yesterday I noticed this little guy staring at me... I'm planning to bottle tonight because this guy does not look friendly. Any ideas? (Sorry for the bad pic, SWMBO texted it to me... will get a better one tonight)

ForumRunner_20121126_153637.jpg

Really hate to post, but this is a special beer I do not want to mess up...

RIS OG 1.108 FG 1.022-4 currently estimated at 11.6%. Sat in primary for 3-4 weeks so last week I racked it onto 2 cut vanilla beans soaked in 100 proof vodka for 3 days as well as 8 oz of 60% cacao chips. Well yesterday I noticed this little guy staring at me... I'm planning to bottle tonight because this guy does not look friendly. Any ideas? (Sorry for the bad pic, SWMBO texted it to me... will get a better one tonight)

As long as its not furry or dry looking you should be fine. Might be a yeast raft or protien from the vanilla, ive scraped to hard once and had what looked like protien break in the jar.

I'll look closer when I get home. Looks menacing, potentially furry and wet.

When racking, sample tasted splendid... I'd be okay with less vanilla/chocolate flavor if it means saving it from baddies.

I brewed a sweet stout as my first batch last night, this morning I get up and this is what I see with my airlock happily bubbling along. Is this right?

That was my first batch too, but I never got to see it as I started out in plastic pails. It looks healthy and gorgeous.

:mug:

“You have taken your first step into a larger world.” – Obi-Wan Kenobi

This is our first batch, around 1 gallon in two separated glass carboys, of what was supposed to be an IPA. It will end like something near a Stout due to a misunderstood between toasted and roasted barley at the brewshop. It bubbled nicely during the fermentation and a vigorous kraeusen was formed. But at a certain point we realised that we had lots of white spots in the inner wall of the carboy but nothing in the wort. Now the kraeusen is disappearing and we plan to bottle in a couple of days. Do you think it is an infection? Maybe only a glass infection? Or just the newbie's paranoid? Here you have the spots' pics:
attachment.php

attachment.php

The wort looks fine to me. What do you think?
attachment.php

attachment.php

My 8 gallon canning pot I use for open pit brewing. I guess I "forgot" to clean this one after the last batch of Porter. Something came to visit and got frozen in mid life! Kind of awesome. This looks like dry ice smoke bubbling up, but it's absolutely locked in ice, bubbles fuzz and all!

frozen.001.jpg

frozen.003.jpg

frozen.002.jpg

My 8 gallon canning pot I use for open pit brewing. I guess I "forgot" to clean this one after the last batch of Porter. Something came to visit and got frozen in mid life! Kind of awesome. This looks like dry ice smoke bubbling up, but it's absolutely locked in ice, bubbles fuzz and all!

And we have our winner:rockin:

That's just...well......really cool

Primitive and awesome as all hell:ban::mug:

You aren't a Druid by any chance, are you?

Thanks! It was driven primarily by the need to get off the kitchen stove. According to a former coworker, I am "part wizard". :drunk:

Is there an appropriate place on HBT to post video links?

Just opened my apfelwein after 6 weeks. Any idea what this is?/what to do with it?

image-1200406670.jpg

image-2135064769.jpg

Lagering

MR BEER KEG sighting! :) I would carefully use the spout on the MR Beer keg and rack from under that.

New to the posting, but I've been lurking for a while. I've been brewing for about a year, and have done maybe 30 batches or so. Never had an infection, or any suspicion of one until now.
This is a 10 gallon batch of Honey Wheat that I split and pitched S-04 in one and S-05 in the other. Both did fine, but the S-05 was a little slower to start, but when I took a reading 12/2 after a week, the S-04 was at 1.014 and the S-05 was crushing it at 1.008! I pitched at 70 degrees, and it's been fermenting since 11/24 at between 64 and 67.

However, I think I contaminated it taking a sample. I followed my usual sanitation method of spraying around the lock and the sample taker with Star San prior to use, but I noticed the white milky stuff in the fermenter on the left a few days later. It has a definite sour smell, but it's not overpowering. Thoughts? Is it salvageable? Should I just give it some more time and take another sample and see how it's doing?

IMAG0261.jpg

IMAG0262.jpg

New to the posting, but I've been lurking for a while. I've been brewing for about a year, and have done maybe 30 batches or so. Never had an infection, or any suspicion of one until now.
This is a 10 gallon batch of Honey Wheat that I split and pitched S-04 in one and S-05 in the other. Both did fine, but the S-05 was a little slower to start, but when I took a reading 12/2 after a week, the S-04 was at 1.014 and the S-05 was crushing it at 1.008! I pitched at 70 degrees, and it's been fermenting since 11/24 at between 64 and 67.

However, I think I contaminated it taking a sample. I followed my usual sanitation method of spraying around the lock and the sample taker with Star San prior to use, but I noticed the white milky stuff in the fermenter on the left a few days later. It has a definite sour smell, but it's not overpowering. Thoughts? Is it salvageable? Should I just give it some more time and take another sample and see how it's doing?

yea...the s-05 looks like it may have picked somthing up. At this point, might as well let it ride. Since it's a wheat,maybe rack on to some fruit, and worst case, you get a sour out of the deal. I'm not a fan myself, but some people go nuts for them.

I agree with whitehaus:

Doesn't mean it's undrinkable, just has a sour flavor. I've been brewing about the same amount of time and # of batches. I won't bore with the details, but I had several batches come out that way this past summer. Took me a couple to figure it out. One suggestion I would make is bottle it now then sit on it for a month. I did that with a couple of the batches and it seemed to minimize the effect.

One suggestion I would make is bottle it now then sit on it for a month. I did that with a couple of the batches and it seemed to minimize the effect.

The guys at my local homebrew shop (NORTHERN BREWER in Minneapolis and St. Paul) had some advice for me when I got a Brettanomyces infection. While regular brewer's yeast strains (Saccharomyces) will eventually stop eating and go dormant, Brettanomyces will keep converting the wort and creating more gas until the gravity gets to complete zero (or 1.000). If you bottle it too early, you could be making beer bombs.

The NORTHERN BREWER guys recommended racking it into a clean carboy and keeping it in a cool dark place undisturbed for several months or until the gravity got down to within a point of zero (1.001 +/-1). This way you avoid the potential bombs you'd be making by capping it while Brett is still converting.

Also, now would be a good time to toss in a bunch of raspberries or other tart berry that will blend well with the sour. Accidentally making a Lambic might turn out to be the best thing you ever discovered.

...or it might just be really awful! Please keep us updated.

Ok infected or not infected? I've been lurking in the thread for a while and am curious. Have I caught my beer in the early stages of infection? This only my 4th batch of beer and I must say I'm not liking the way this looks? My first dry hopping so this may explain what these small white orbs are. Thanks

Note: the globs in the corners of the pic are my muslin bag.

image-1372811089.jpg

image-3177708552.jpg

Ok infected or not infected? I've been lurking in the thread for a while and am curious. Have I caught my beer in the early stages of infection? This only my 4th batch of beer and I must say I'm not liking the way this looks? My first dry hopping so this may explain what these small white orbs are. Thanks

Note: the globs in the corners of the pic are my muslin bag.

Not infected.....If you look close I'll bet it's clumps of very small bubbles.

whitehause said:
Not infected.....If you look close I'll bet it's clumps of very small bubbles.

Great news I really appreciate the quick reply. I also want to take the time to apologize for posting in this thread. noob paranoia I am guilty of today. Thank you again.

Great news I really appreciate the quick reply. I also want to take the time to apologize for posting in this thread. noob paranoia I am guilty of today. Thank you again.

We've all had the moments of panic brought on by the idea of ruined beer. The loss of something so precious should be worrying.

Also, now would be a good time to toss in a bunch of raspberries or other tart berry that will blend well with the sour. Accidentally making a Lambic might turn out to be the best thing you ever discovered.

...or it might just be really awful! Please keep us updated.

I've got a bunch of 1.5 gal carboys I got from a friend. This might be the perfect opportunity to fool around with a few different recipes. Any suggestions?

Came across this today. The picture is taken down the neck of the carboy. I used Kolsh yeast, in a Octoberfest. It had been fermenting for approximately 2 weeks 4 days plus 3 days of cold crashing. Any ideas? How worried should I be?

Besides the circle (which was smaller than a pea) in the middle there wasn't much else floating. After racking there was some film on the side of the carboy.

image-497655698.jpg

cossacks19 said:
Came across this today. The picture is taken down the neck of the carboy. I used Kolsh yeast, in a Octoberfest. It had been fermenting for approximately 2 weeks 4 days plus 3 days of cold crashing. Any ideas? How worried should I be?

Besides the circle (which was smaller than a pea) in the middle there wasn't much else floating. After racking there was some film on the side of the carboy.

Your fine! That's just the moon and some stars.

Totally what it looks like!! But seriously it's nothing? There was a film on the side of the carboy, what is that?

image-3205223229.jpg

Back