Some laws about beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jade_The_Raw

Reaction score
I am 20 and brew, how does that work? Is it legal?

Is it legal for me to sell my beer at parties?

Can I give beer away?

If I take it too a bar instead of selling my beer could I sell cups?

What do I need to do to stay out of trouble?!

no.

no.

depends on the state in a year, now no.

no if there is beer in them or going into them.

wait a year to brew and then don't try to loophole a way to sell homebrew .

no.

no.

depends on the state in a year, now no.

no if there is beer in them or going into them.

wait a year to brew and then don't try to loophole a way to sell homebrew .

Where is the line drawn in selling cups? I could jus tbe selling cups. Its not up to me if people put beer in it or not.

Generally, yes, it's illegal to brew if you're not of age. Just like it is to drink it, but we know how that goes.

I'm not aware of any state that allows you to sell homebrew. Since it's a food product, you have to have permits for legality.

Yes, I think. Giving it away is fine, but you're still liable for possession of it, so...

That's fully dependent on where you live, however you're still liable for possession. There's some states where you can BYOB and there's others where you can't. Again, though, by law you can't possess alcohol.

How to stay out of trouble? Don't be stupid. Brew away, son, but don't try to sell it and don't throw ragers that get the cops called. If you brew beer and drink in peace in your home, no one's gonna know. There's several states where it's technically illegal to brew beer, but that doesn't stop homebrewers.

Again, just don't be stupid. Just like any party I've gone to at a frat or apartment, sell a cup for $5 and provide the beer. Just. Don't. Be. Stupid. About. It.

Generally, yes, it's illegal to brew if you're not of age. Just like it is to drink it, but we know how that goes.

I'm not aware of any state that allows you to sell homebrew. Since it's a food product, you have to have permits for legality.

Yes, I think. Giving it away is fine, but you're still liable for possession of it, so...

That's fully dependent on where you live, however you're still liable for possession. There's some states where you can BYOB and there's others where you can't. Again, though, by law you can't possess alcohol.

How to stay out of trouble? Don't be stupid. Brew away, son, but don't try to sell it and don't throw ragers that get the cops called. If you brew beer and drink in peace in your home, no one's gonna know. There's several states where it's technically illegal to brew beer, but that doesn't stop homebrewers.

Again, just don't be stupid. Just like any party I've gone to at a frat or apartment, sell a cup for $5 and provide the beer. Just. Don't. Be. Stupid. About. It.

Yah good advice. I really like the selling cups idea, I am good at staying out of trouble thus me asking the laws so I know how to break them lol. I usally supply beer for people that are aloud to throw parties like clubs and stuff. But idk just making sure.

I am not going to look up any actual facts on the topic and am only pulling this out of my ass so I claim no responsibility if you end up in prison, but you can probably brew at your folks house with their permission as long as they claim its their brew and allow you to work on it.

If you want to brew to enjoy a fine beer for yourself that is more enjoyable than the natty light piss water kids your age normally drink then good on you. If you want to brew to sell beer at parties, you are probably going to end up with something or other on your permanent record.

If these are your reasons for brewing, get a license and open a brewery legit. If you're not willing to do it legit, may as well cook meth, there's way more money in it.

Yah good advice. I really like the selling cups idea, I am good at staying out of trouble thus me asking the laws so I know how to break them lol. I usally supply beer for people that are aloud to throw parties like clubs and stuff. But idk just making sure.

This old "I'm not selling beer, I'm selling cups" chestnut never does quite die.

Simply put: it doesn't work. Police aren't idiots. The people who write laws aren't idiots. It's your intent that matters. If you're selling cups that are intended to carry beer that you are providing, you are selling beer.

If you sell cups filled with beer, you are selling beer. If you sell cups but the beer is free, you are selling beer. If you charge to get in, you are selling beer. If you charge for ingredients, you are selling beer. You will need to lawyer instead of forum advice if you try to get any thing for your beer. There are differences in state law. In Texas, you can become a microbrew and sell your beer by the glass at festivals and such, but there are lots of restrictions and fees and paperwork, not to mention liability. We looked into it but did not go any further. Who needs a second job that costs you. I enjoy brewing but only if I do not have to do it. Just plan on having a lot of friends after you are 21. Check out your own state's laws.

If you want to brew to sell beer at parties, you are probably going to end up with something or other on your permanent record.

.....and it's worth pointing out that this isn't a local-cops-deal-with-it issue....manufacturing of alcohol for sale without permit is a Federal offense that is dealt with by the ATF and DEA (and we all know how "fair and reasonable" they are). Getting caught is a felony and most states (especially down south and in some of the midwest) still enforce randomly harsh archaic anti-moonshiner laws.....

Getting caught organizing large parties where you sell homemade alcoholic beverages in large volumes while still underage to even possess alcohol (and no longer a minor) would put you in a world of legal hurt. Be smart. Be careful.

Enjoy your homebrew for yourself and your close friends - if you want to scale up, you're just the right age to be looking into a Fermentation Science degree and a long career as a legal commercial brewer. Find another way to make some spare change (even if you're just using kegs of macroswill at parties, that still brings it back down from federal to a state-level issue).

sounds like a whole lot of...you should be's, you might be's, and probably's. My guess is nobody knows the exact laws/ordinances of your state/city, so I would probably look it up myself in the state statutes & city ordinances. Maybe even contact a lawyer who is knowledgeable.

Be safe and smart about it, as said before, but if you are in college and selling beer, the word will probably get around quickly and you have no control over who the word gets around to.

What if you just asked for a 5 dollar donation or door charge? Wouldn't that be better than charging for a cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back