Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree with the people who have pointed out some of my lest favorite beers:
Leinenkugels Summer Shandy- I think its horrible but the wife loved it.
Sam Adams Cherry Wheat- Wife and I both thought it tastted like cough syrup.

Then the other day I tried Blue Moons Spring seasonal brew, ugh! I love Blue Moon but at first this one was horrible, never really got better and I dont think I actually even managed to finish it, wife even thought it was horrible as well.

Let us know what you end up taking and what the winner/loser is. :mug:

Hopefully this isn't off-topic as it wasn't the "worst" craft beer, but I had Full Sail's Bump In the Night yesterday and it was one of the most confusing beers I've had in a while.

Itsbilled as a Cascadian Dark Ale (~ American Black IPA), but it comes across like they brewed another style, didn't like the results, then just dry-hopped to cover it up and threw it on the market as a Black IPA. It's pretty malty and oddly boozy for 6.5 ABV.

Anyone else had this beer?

Samichlaus, had been beer connoisseuring for years and was well familiar with the style, but hated it. Two three sips and down the drain it went. It's been a lot of years now but from what I can vaguely remember it tasted like prune juice with a lot of alcohol mixed in.

Also,
Sam Adams Cherry Wheat
Blue Moon Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale - tasted nothing like a pumpkin! The one's I bought tasted literally like dust, chalky dust!

Rev.

Wow, I can't believe Samichlaus got thrown under the bus. I love that beer. Incredibly complex and a wonderful winter warmer. There is a prune flavor there but that's just one component of the flavor profile. I get a 6 pack every December.

Wow, I can't believe Samichlaus got thrown under the bus. I love that beer. Incredibly complex and a wonderful winter warmer. There is a prune flavor there but that's just one component of the flavor profile. I get a 6 pack every December.

Yep, but the one I had was awful, absolutely terrible. I know it's rated really highly so I should probably try one again. I got it at a really nice beer distributor in Brooklyn NY, where I used to live. They had between 500-1000 different beers but since most typical Brooklynites in that area probably aren't familiar with good beer theres a damn good chance it was sitting there for a very very long time. But with it's high alcohol content and high OG I'd think it should age fine. One of my other favorites for a long time was Fuller's Vintage. Not sure if they're still making those today though as I haven't seen them in years.

Rev.

Hands down, Pyramid Apricot Ale, tried it before and after they changed the name to "Audacious" either way it was just crap, people diss Sam Adam's Blackberry Wit, Cranberry Lambic and Cherry Wheat but I can at least finish a bottle of those, not "Audacious". That beer turned me off to fruit beers until I discovered lambics.

Never had Fullers Vintage. Samichlaus actually gets better with age but it is possible that it was not stored properly.

It's funny, my sister worked a summer in Australia, and the Aussies don't drink fosters either. Kinda like most canadians don't drink labatts blue, seriously we don't, it's a far cry from a good pilsner.

Worst beer as of late? Majic hat number 9...... God, it tastes like fermented mushroom juice.... Just plain gross....

I might get slammed here, but the only two beers I couldn't finish were Sam Adams Cherry Wheat and Boulevard Lunar Ale. I don't know what purple should taste like, but I am pretty sure Boulevard Lunar Ale is what it would taste like.

I have an honorable mention to include, don't remember what the exact beer was, but it was made by Gluek. A buddy picked up 4-5 case of it because it was $8/case. I think even when I was drunk I had a hard time putting that stuff down.

It's funny, my sister worked a summer in Australia, and the Aussies don't drink fosters either.

I know they don't drink it, they drink Cooper's mostly, but I really like Foster's. It does have it's own unique taste that I haven't come across in any other brews in the style range.

Rev.

I can't believe how many people hate Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. I actually like it a lot, although I can only have one at a time before it gets too sweet. However, I hate Sam Adams Imperial White. Besides that, I don't know if they still make it or not but Miller Chill was pretty awful.

I'm pretty tolerant for trying new beers, but I had to recently pour one down the drain. My gf bought a 6 pack of Wild Blue. I had about 3 sips, each one worse than the one before. Straight down the drain.

+1 to all the Cherry Wheat posts.

-1 to the person that said Southern Tier Pumpking and Creme Brulee. You're crazy! :p

Same here for Wild Blue. I think I managed to finish one from the six pack, got halfway through a second and ended up dumping the rest. Gross. It was blue too if I remember correctly.

Not a commercial beer but I tried Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier, a german smoked beer that is supposed to taste like bacon. It was my first smoked beer and I couldn't stand it.

I'm on the wagon with the Wild Blue haters... Made it through 1 of 6 before the sink got a refreshing drink.

dvdanny said:
Hands down, Pyramid Apricot Ale, tried it before and after they changed the name to "Audacious" either way it was just crap, people diss Sam Adam's Blackberry Wit, Cranberry Lambic and Cherry Wheat but I can at least finish a bottle of those, not "Audacious". That beer turned me off to fruit beers until I discovered lambics.

Awe. I liked the audacious apricot ale

My worst is probably Well's Banana Bread Beer

Had to be the most dry thing I've ever tasted beyond cardboard.

But that's just my opinion. If you can drink it, then more power to you.

Oh don't get me wrong, not really defending it here, I've only had one ever. The place I had it at I typically drink Schneider Weisse so after that one as an experiment of curiosity I went right back to my Schneider. :)

Rev.

Most recently I had to pour out 4LOKO. I managed to get 3 down and I ended up puking from them, and I am no light weight by any means. I have no idea what the hype about that garbage was all about. I love some stimulants mixed with my alcohol but 4LOKO was a huge disappointment by my standards.

Aside from this garbage, the last beer I bought that I couldn't get down was Victory Whirlwind Wheat. I love Victory brewing, my favorite is their Golden Monkey or the Prima Pils but god damn did I gag trying to drink the Whirlwind Wheat. It gets great reviews on Beer Advocate and I know a lot of people that like it. Maybe I got a bad case or something, it might be worth another try but I dont wanna get it, hate it and be out another 30 bucks as I am the only one in my circle that really enjoys wheat beer.

Oh yeah. I wanted to agree that Sam Adams Cherry Wheat does nothing for me either. I wouldn't pour it out but I wouldn't actively seek it out.

Heineken. Always lemony/puckery and skunky/light-struck. Nasty stuff. Budweiser is pretty bad, too. That stuff gives me a terrible hangover every time. Like ether and gasoline.

Can't say I can remember pouring out any beers, but I did not like wild blue like others. I just drank the 6 pack I had and well did not mind them. Don't get me wrong I do not seek it out, but if it was all I had I would drink it.

I also was offered a heineken at a friends house recently. I used to always drink them, but man I had to ask myself now...is that really what I liked to drink years ago.

I guess my tastebuds have changed

I had a dragons milk at a local bar.. I had to literally chase each sip with soda to gag it down. I LOVE hoppy beers but this tasted infected. Was literally making me gag as a drank it. After 3/4 of a bottle my face and lips were literally numb. Several on here have sid how great it is so I have to assume I got a bad bottle but haven't had the nerve to try it again to fond out.

Hoppy? Maybe you got the wrong beer. Dragon's Milk is a barrel aged imp. stout.

Bud, then Red stripe. I'd rather be sick than drink either of those. I did also have a Dieu du Ciel Hibiscus wheat that I thought tasted like vomit, too. Plus, I really, really, REALLY hate sours. I even ended up trying to use a bottle of Petrus in a vinagrette as a salad dressing, and still couldn't stand it.

Hahahahaha!

lumpher said:
boddington's draught. gagged on first drink, and on consecutive drinks. dumped the rest on the ground. couldn't contaminate the sewer with it

Another one on my good beer list

And the point I'm making, we all like something different (but there is indeed, some real swill out there - I've made some myself)

Back