2nd harvest/HUGE dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
I vowed to use all of my homegrown hops this year in 1 all time hop bomb.

First harvest yielded a little over 27 oz of dried hops. HOP GRENADE achieved. Each beer will explode with hop flavor. Big early and late hops additions and 2 little ones in between. I planned to dry hop with my meager 2nd harvest.

2nd harvest yielded almost 20 oz.........

Part of me is like, screw it, why not, but part of me thinks that I could use the hops for 8 or 9 more brews if I only use 2 or 3 oz to dry hop.

They are homegrown, and so a little unpredictable, and some were a little immature. Because of the drought and the fact that I am transplanting, I harvested all anyways.

Go BIG? or go home and have hops to brew with another day?

Quite a few views, no thoughts?

Outraged at my hop wasting decadence? SPEAK UP!

I had no idea this year would produce 15 times more than last year,lol.

Good problem to have, but give me some perspective please.

What is the max to dry hop with before it becomes ineffective?

Dammit, let me search or "new thread" this if nothing comes up.

It's generally accepted that anything more than 4-5oz is a waste. You could experiment with adding some at the start of fermentation then some after fermentation is complete.

It's generally accepted that anything more than 4-5oz is a waste. You could experiment with adding some at the start of fermentation then some after fermentation is complete.

Crap that's a good idea. Already posted a poll. we'll see. Searching turned up someone wanting to use 8 oz, but the variety was shouted down with little discussion as to whether 8 oz was nuts or not.

The general thought, as i understand it, is that the human palate cannot decipher IBUs over a certain level - i.e. 150IBU tastes like 200IBU. I would imagine dry hopping would follow the came concept. After 3-5oz, as wyzazz suggests, you're wasting hops.

If i were you, i'd be more inclined to continuously dry hop over a period of weeks or months (however long your beer lasts - kegged?), as the benefits of dry hopping fade with time. At least you'd be getting something out of all those goodies.

Latest posts

Back