HERMs operation and end of mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcrabb22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have found a bunch of how to build HERMs systems examples but the actual operation of the HERMs system is still not clear. The thread "How do PID's/SSR's work?" made HERMs operation more clear but created a new question.

At the end of the mash the HLT temp needs to rise for sparging. That takes time. When that happens is the pump shut off to stop recirculation or do you let the mash temp rise along with the HLT? If the mash continues to recirulate through the HEX during HLT temperature rise wouldn't that significantly slow the rate of heating the HLT as now the HLT heat source would be effectively heating 2 separate vessels?

Yeah I would like to know which is better also . I wonder if cutting off the recirc before mash ends and getting a head start on hlt mash out temp would be the key?

Here is how I do it:

I keep the PUMP ON
I turn the HLT up to 174F
I let it run for about 20 minutes
The MLT reaches mash out temp
I then swap ONE hose and sparge with 174F water into a 168F grain bed

Which is better? What is better really? Better suited to the brewer? I really dont think that either of the methods have any affect on the beer whatsoever. For me it is easier, more hands off, just to turn the HLT up and let it go for 20 minutes. No starting and stopping the pump and looking to see when the HLT gets up to temp. etc.

I am lazy, my method is great for me.

Thanks for sharing your technique Pol. I have a habit of over thinking and making things more complicated. I don't have a HERMs yet but I'm considering it.

Yeah, I overthink as well. THEN I go back and make it simple. Overthinking is good, that is where you find your varaibles and then you can create a method or sytem by which to satisfy the varaibles, without adding work.

My occupation is all about load management and avoiding task saturation. The way that I brew, follows that philosophy.

My method does not require starting and stopping of the pump.
I dont have to pay attention to WHEN the HLT reaches 174F
I use the SAME profile each time, so it is repeatable.

I hope this helps, now go and find a process that works for YOU.

Back