Hop Holder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwain

Reaction score
Guys,
I've looked through the forums with the search function for this topic and didn't find this. Has anyone taken some of the screen like I've seen on some of the threads and made a cube out of it. Wired the five sides with stainless wire but left the top so you can open it? You could put your hops in, wire it closed with a small piece and put it in the boil kettle. I know you would have to add hops a couple of times but wouldn't this solve the hops plugging the false bottom? I've been drinking so this makes perfect sense to me. What do ya'll think - Dwain

Hop bags 40 cents at LHBS --dump them in, tie the top & drop it in. Toss in the garbage when done.

The other day, when I brewed, I put my hops in a tea & herb ball. When the time was up, I would dump the ball and add the next round of hops. Has anyone done this? Do you see a problem with this? Also, I was using hop pellets. Thanks - Dwain

I'm sure this has been covered, but when I searched, I came up witht this thread.

if i understand what you're doing, i don't think you'd be getting the full utilization. for example, are you removing the 60 min hops to put the 10 min addition in?

I use put a 5 gallon paint strainer bag on the rim of my BK, and dump the hops straight into that. When I'm ready to transfer I just remove the bag.

The other day, when I brewed, I put my hops in a tea & herb ball. When the time was up, I would dump the ball and add the next round of hops. Has anyone done this? Do you see a problem with this? Also, I was using hop pellets. Thanks - Dwain

I'm sure this has been covered, but when I searched, I came up witht this thread.

Would it work ok if you left the first "tea ball" in & added an additional "tea ball", so on & so forth? Do you fully utilize the hops when they are in a "tea ball"?

I'm looking at this method myself because I have an electric keggle & do not want to burn the bags.

Dumping any of the hop matter before the end of the boil is a very bad idea.

Use more/bigger herb balls if you need to.

Even better is a big suspended mesh bag.

Do you need to use the fine mesh bags or do the course ones work fairly well for pellet hops ?

The coarse bags work fine in my experience, even with pellet hops. If the mesh is too fine, it will clog when you try to drain the liquid from it. Some hop matter will get through but not too much...it's a bit of a trade-off.

Latest posts

Back