First Lager, yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerseyBrian

Reaction score
I have been brewing for a few years and finally brewed my first lager. I pitched some hydrated s23 earlier today and it is goin, but....It looks wierd!
Im used to seeing a nice foamy bubbling krausen. This time it looks more like a clumpy pudding or something. So, my question is: Does lager yeat look much different than ale yeast? and is what im seeing most likely normal?

Thanks!

Lager yeast does look and act differently. I hope that you are fermenting at the correct temperature.

Range: 48.2F to 59F. 53.9F is the preferred temperature.

Link: http://www.brew-winemaking.com/ProductPDF/3701.pdf

It can be fermenting and look like it is not doing much. I would let it ferment week and then you could check the gravity. It then may need a diacetyl rest. For that just let it go up to 65 for 2 days and then back down for lagering.

Did you make a starter? How much?

What WBC said except the part about making a starter. DON'T make a starter with dry yeast. It will deplete the built in reserves of nutrients before being pitched and cause a resulting cell loss/degradeation, in effect reducing the amount of viable cells. Rehydrating like you did is better for dry yeast. For liquid yeast always make a starter.

What WBC said except the part about making a starter. DON'T make a starter with dry yeast. It will deplete the built in reserves of nutrients before being pitched and cause a resulting cell loss/degradeation, in effect reducing the amount of viable cells. Rehydrating like you did is better for dry yeast. For liquid yeast always make a starter.

No, I asked IF he made a starter. :D All he should have done was to rehydrate the yeast.

Back