Anyone shipped carb'd bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toppers

Reaction score
Say I want to mail some of my new soda to a friend, it is about 2 weeks carbed. How dangerous is this? Will it explode with the pressure differentials incurred on flights?

It'll probably be the heat that will make it explode, not necessarily the changes in air pressure.

There isn't anyway to "halt" carbonation in sodas, except by sticking it in the fridge. So, yes, I'd say it's a dangerous proposition.

No, it'll be fine. Airlines serve bottled beer all the time. I've carried plenty of it in my luggage. No problems.

No, it'll be fine. Airlines serve bottled beer all the time. I've carried plenty of it in my luggage. No problems.

Yes, properly fermented and carbed beer would be fine. But soda (because of the sugar and imprecise carbonation method) would not be fine. I wouldn't try it.

Yes, properly fermented and carbed beer would be fine. But soda (because of the sugar and imprecise carbonation method) would not be fine. I wouldn't try it.

Hm, yeah, I figured it was the same as finished, carbonated beer. What exactly did the OP use to carbonate it?

If it is naturally carbed soda, then it keeps working at cellar temps. It needs to be chilled for the yeast to go dormant.

If it was force carbed and then bottled, it should be ok.

I've shipped about 15 bottles of carbed beer in somewhat warm temperatures via fedex, ended up fine. The bottles might have been shaken quite vigorously though, my friend said all my beers were cloudy even though the same ones I have here from my basement are crystal clear, so Something had to kick up that sediment pretty good. So if your bottles can handle being shaken up in hot temperatures, then go ahead

Are these bottled in glass or plastic (PET) bottles?

If plastic bottles, couldn't you bottle with yeast and immediately ship them to your friend. The carbonation would occur during shipping. Then have your friend immediately fridge them.

If they are glass that would be a risk considering the carb process takes less than 2 days on my counter at room temps It gets a lot hotter in the shipping trucks and delivery vehicles. Which means the carbing would be greater and then unwanted bottle bombs. Poor mail/delivery driver :)

Your bottles should be fine inflight as long as you package them correctly. I usually use USPS even though they dont allow the shipment of beer the do allow shipment of "yeast samples".........slight little loop hole:mug:

Ok thanks all, in fact I am referring to primed beer that has been in amber bottles for a week. The soda reference? Shipping alcohol is illegal and didn't want to have admins bug me.

Uh-oh..now you did it. The ATF should be on your door step in about 5...4...3..2..

No of course not. People ship beer quite legally all the time to home brew contests. USPS doesn't allow. UPS does and by the way, you are shipping them for "Analysis Purposes"

Uh-oh..now you did it. The ATF should be on your door step in about 5...4...3..2..

I have sent things through the mail that would give the DEA labs a field day, and have you shaking in your boots and probably worse, sonny. That's not what I'm worried about.

Oh, well, you said soda, I thought you meant soda.

Beer is fine. I'd wait and send it until it was completely done and carbed up. It's illegal to send alcohol through the US postal service, but not Fedex or UPS, DHL, etc.

We do it all the time.

Back