bottle bombs imminent?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoebag22

Reaction score
please excuse the newbie factor...

My first batch ever is a standard hefe... original gravity at 1.048 which was spot on to the recipe. I let it sit in primary for 10 days. At days 8,9 and 10 I got readings of 1.010. I bottled a few days ago, but have a feeling I may be in for some fireworks...

How much priming sugar did you use?
Why do you think you're going to have problems?

Remember...Bottle bombs are ALWAYS a product of you screwing something up, or being WAY too experimental. A tried and true recipe like you are talking about should be just fine.

I used the dosage of corn sugar given to me in the kit... no worries with that. I'm worried that I didn't leave it in the primary long enough... Am I safe because the hydro reading were consistent for 3 straight days? if I had a hydro reading of 1.025 for three straight days would I have any reason to worry? My understanding is the higher the hydro reading when you bottle, the greater the chance of bottle bombs.

Yes, and at 1.011 it's finished. So don't worry- you won't have bottle bombs!

However, don't ever be hesitant to wait. Generally speading, the longer you wait to bottle, the better the beer will be. Even after the yeast are done fermenting, they are still cleaning up after themselves, eating their own waste products like diacetyl. So, you can easily leave it about 3-4 weeks before bottling, and have some smoother, clearer beer.

You're fine. I've never had a beer finish below 1.015. Your hydro reading was good, you have no reason to worry!

Back