Preventing Blowoff bucket from getting sucked into beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radial67

Reaction score
Guys

Can someone advise me on your process to avoid the contnts of my blowoff bucket from being sucked into the fermenter once I hit FG and cold crash the beer?

My blowoff bucket is at the same level as the carboy (both on the floor) and obviously the headspace pressure is dropping as the temp goes down which is causing a vacuum in the blowoff tube (about 2ft long)

Switch back to a normal airlock and keep an eye on the level of liquid in it?

Switch back to a normal airlock and keep an eye on the level of liquid in it?

You definately do not want to do this in a primary. When the C02 contracts from the temperature drop air will get pulled into the headspace past the liquid in the airlock. That's worse than starsan since it will oxidize your beer. You may not even realize it is happening, but it will for sure if you drop more than a few degrees. Best bet is to do a secondary or keg before crashing.

Use a one-piece airlock. I've had suck-back with a three piece.

Just to be clear, air will bubble backwards through any air lock whether or not the liquid is sucked back. It's the air that is the biggest concern, not the liquid. The ONLY prevention is to to crash cool using either a secondary with very little headspace, or a keg.

Guys

Can someone advise me on your process to avoid the contnts of my blowoff bucket from being sucked into the fermenter once I hit FG and cold crash the beer?

My blowoff bucket is at the same level as the carboy (both on the floor) and obviously the headspace pressure is dropping as the temp goes down which is causing a vacuum in the blowoff tube (about 2ft long)

Replace the airlock/blowoff with a solid bung/stopper....you don't need a vent once fermentation is complete.

Back