IPA Pickles?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the label I designed for the lid.

ipapickles-label-copy-58922.jpg

I bought Avery 22808 brown "Kraft paper" round print to edge labels, downloaded the word template, then created the design in photoshop elements. I'm quite proud of the hop/cucumber vine. I just changed the beer name for the other two batches.

602227_10151328698109067_1515985726_n.jpg

I just ate an entire jar.....

They are amazingly delicious.....But not two hearted enough for me....either I will double up the beer next time, or I will reduce it to concentrate the flavors....and definitely want some real hops in there.

Can't wait to try the Torpedo and the Founders.

Just made these...I added a tablespoon of sugar to balance out the acidity/heat. I can't imagine these NOT being good:

photo_zps862eb1a3.jpg
[/IMG]

I haven't updated this, I've tried them all, and so far my favorite has to be the batch with the Torpedo DIPA. Still not noticeably hoppy but really complex. I still want to either concentrate the beer for the next batch, use twice as much or use something really over the top hoppy, and I definitely want to add hop cones or hop vines into the pickling liquid when it's still hot to get more hoppy goodness. And dryhop in the jar.

I haven't updated this, I've tried them all, and so far my favorite has to be the batch with the Torpedo DIPA. Still not noticeably hoppy but really complex. I still want to either concentrate the beer for the next batch, use twice as much or use something really over the top hoppy, and I definitely want to add hop cones or hop vines into the pickling liquid when it's still hot to get more hoppy goodness. And dryhop in the jar.

Revvy, I literally put my jar in the fridge just now. I used a Sculpin IPA. Do you think I should add some hop pellets to the jar as well? :) Won't it get "gunky" on the pickles?

I wouldn't use pellets. I'd go with cones.

Good point...I have some cones that my sister-in-law gave me that have been in the freezer for about 2-3 months. I have no idea what they are, but I think they're more of a noble hop than a big in-your-face hop. Think I should just load a bunch of them into the jar anyway? Can't hurt, right?

Good point...I have some cones that my sister-in-law gave me that have been in the freezer for about 2-3 months. I have no idea what they are, but I think they're more of a noble hop than a big in-your-face hop. Think I should just load a bunch of them into the jar anyway? Can't hurt, right?

I'd give it a try. That's the fun of experimenting.

Got the stuff to try this tonight. I'm going to use a ruination clone I have. I'll let y'all know in a week or so!

I'm drinking Alchemy Hour Double IPA by Great Lakes. It would make an awesome pickle. In fact it's a little sweet, so I bet with some sugar, it would be a good beer for an IPA sweet pickle.

Made four jars. The brine I made only filled two though, oh well, just made another batch up real quick. Processing them now. Look an smell pretty good.

Made 3 jars tonight with Full Pint Brewery Chinookie IPA (Pittsburgh, PA). Also made a jar with hard boiled eggs instead of pickles(ran out of cukes, but already measured out my spices and garlic into the jar...didn't want to waste it). Boiled up a sliced onion in the beer/vinegar/salt mixture. I hope they turn out good.

I boiled my cans in my pressure cooker with no weight for 10 min. Will instill need to refrigerate them or are they ok in my pantry?

So I tried these last night, decent taste but they were soft and not crisp at all. Kinda disappointed in this. Any suggestions?

I'm a pickling noob, but like Annasdad said, there evidently is some enzyme inside the tip of cukes, that if not cut off will cause them to be flaccid. Having said that I followed that advice and mine are still soft. I figured I either didn't cut enough off or the age of the cuke made for soft pickles anyway. But to me they didn't matter, they're not mush, just soft. But still taste amazing anyway.

annasdadhockey said:
Did you cut the ends off?
Yeah, about 1/8-1/4 inch both ends.

Revvy said:
I'm a pickling noob, but like Annasdad said, there evidently is some enzyme inside the tip of cukes, that if not cut off will cause them to be flaccid. Having said that I followed that advice and mine are still soft. I figured I either didn't cut enough off or the age of the cuke made for soft pickles anyway. But to me they didn't matter, they're not mush, just soft. But still taste amazing anyway.

Mine are pretty close to mush. Taste pretty good, just soggy. I'm going to try and deep fry them.
Maybe a different cucumber or cut more off?

So these are coming out soft? I wonder if there are tricks for getting them firm and crisp. I think I'll wait until I get home to google "getting firm pickles".

I had the same problem with mine being soft. Forgot about that. I've made tons of batches of pickles before and never had that problem.

My guess is it has something to do with the alcohol or other parts of the beer breaking down the vegetables, since that's the only component that's different than my regular process.

Anyone tried this with a lower-alcohol beer?

Mine were not soft. They have now been brining for 11 days. I tried one 6 days in and it was amazing. I've been eating them slowly over the last 5 days and they keep getting better. They have a nice firm crunch and they taste exactly as I was hoping for.

Mine were not soft. They have now been brining for 11 days. I tried one 6 days in and it was amazing. I've been eating them slowly over the last 5 days and they keep getting better. They have a nice firm crunch and they taste exactly as I was hoping for.

Good to hear. I think I may finally try to make these this weekend.

Some pickle recipes call for alum, which is supposed to make them a little crisper.

Or choose the youngest, firmest cucs.

Some pickle recipes call for alum, which is supposed to make them a little crisper.

Or choose the youngest, firmest cucs.

Seems on pickling boards the ideas of how to make them crisp seems to be as variant and contracdictory as on homebrewing forums. I've also seen chill them over night before adding the hot brine, and to choose the ugly warty looking cukes.

Which recipe did you follow? I'm acquiring the ingredients to do the "sea hag" version revvy posted.

Which recipe did you follow? I'm acquiring the ingredients to do the "sea hag" version revvy posted.

I used the recipe on page 1, instead of Sea Hag I used Ballast Point Sculpin. The only differences to the recipe were that I couldn't find dill seed, so I used straight sprigs of dill. I also added a tablespoon of sugar to the recipe, and poured my brine over everything. The sugar gave it a sweetness to go with the sour/vinegary bite and the heat from the pepper.

Just made these.

However, it wouldnt be normal for me unless something went wrong. So, i have the cukes in the jar, the beer and vinegar heating, and realize that i DONT have dill seed as i thought. Oh well, subbed fennel seed and coriander. We'll see how they turn out.

0331132138.jpg

Made a batch this weekend using Bells Two Hearted since I had it on hand.

483949_10200951068280162_2090242101_n.jpg

8606_10200951069320188_1042097591_n.jpg

Did a bit of other picking and canning afterwards and wrapped up the day with a bit of Black Shadow IBA, the last of the keg.

903594_10200951073280287_1314996034_o.jpg

There are those of us in the world that can only get Two Hearted once or twice a year.

And you feed yours to cucumbers.

Don't get me wrong, it is not sold in my state. I have to travel to get it. I somehow ended up with a bunch of it lately though.

Also it is good, but it is not a world beater. I had 3F Alpha King, Zombie Dust, Bell's Two Hearted, Hop Slam, Monkeynaut, and Sucks in the fridge. Frankly I was overloaded with good IPA's and I had more 2hearted than anything else. I had my own Rye IPA and Black IPA on tap as well.

There are those of us in the world that can only get Two Hearted once or twice a year.

And you feed yours to cucumbers.

It flows in Michigan through our plumbing. But I'm sure there's an ipa in your neck of the woods that you can use for it.

I'm looking forward to making batches with all different brands. It seems lately that every time I try a new IPA, one of the criteria is pickle worthiness.

Made a batch just now with SNPA, whole cone cascade hops, and cascade hop shoots with a bunch of my hops that'll probably die back in the snow storm tonight. :)

Back