Corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinatally1

Reaction score
Just put my first brew in a keg, and if I turn it upside down I leaks....... But I know I holds pressure cause it was tested....., is this normal until pressure builds and seals it

After hitting it with co2 it seems to have sealed..... But I'm told this shouldn't be necessary.......

always seal with co2 if it still leaks from the valve then make sure it is set well and if not you need a new pressure release valve

what shouldnt be necessary? the co2 to create pressure?

He's saying the keg should seal without pressure, but I think most corney's need a little 'help' from pressure to have a long term positive seal.

Since most corny's are reconditioned, aka used, they do not always seal by themselves. That is why people either put upwards to 30lbs of pressure on them after filling, use the McMaster Carr extra thick O rings, and or keg lube on them. Half of my kegs seem to seal fine with no assistance, where the other 3 take differring amounts of manipulating and pressurizing to get them to seal. Once sealed though, they seem to hold it fine. Better safe than sorry, nothing is worse than coming home to flat beer and an empty CO2 tank.

Ok just checked the keg and the lid was loose and no pressure in the keg. I moved the lid a bit and hit it with 30 psi again and checked with soapy water..... No leaks detected. I'll check it again in the morning, but am I gonna loose this beer?

Ok just checked the keg and the lid was loose and no pressure in the keg. I moved the lid a bit and hit it with 30 psi again and checked with soapy water..... No leaks detected. I'll check it again in the morning, but am I gonna loose this beer?

Maybe. Depends on what got in there around the leaks and loose lid. I'd say you still have a good shot at saving it. Oxygenation might be an issue. Once you pressureize it check it to see if it is holding, and I'd say you ought to have the CO2 hooked up all the time. Soapy water check required each time you check till you are sure its solved.

A little keg lube on the o-ring under the lid will also help seal it, along with the pressure of course.

I assume you pulled the relief valve once or twice while sealing to purge the O2. Ok, so you seem to have a seal now that it is on 30. When you inverted again did it leak any? Also9, are you natural carbing or carbing on pressure. Pressure in the keg will slowly drop over time as the solution absorbs the gas, so you should be fine if naturally carbing, if on gas the pressure will obviously maintain since it is on the regulator. On the other hand, if you are letting it sit waiting to go in the kegerator, you may lose the pressure and seal.

I'm not force carbing, but since my last post I've still got a good seal. Saturday will be a week since I put it in the keg so I think I'll throw it in the fridge and try it out..... Probably a little young but we'll see. Thanks for everyone's input. Hopefully the brew I have in primary now will go smoother when it's time.

Back