Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWMBO broke mine a few weeks ago, so I used that as an excuse to buy a new one and a refractometer. ;)

664. Just finished a pumpkin ale and took my OG. I put it in the tube it came with and the plug at the bottom fell out. It seemed flimsy and slid right out! F***!!!!!!!

669...delayed post, but the wife accidently broke mine when she was putting it away, a couple weeks ago. Great excuse to buy the refractometer that I wanted.

oops, never saw this thread... broke 2 in the last year... just one the other day... but I bought the warranty this time, but doesnt account for me dropping it. :)

HAT TRICK!!!

674, 675, 676

I just started brewing a few months ago. I broke 3 in just 4 batches. I haven't even bottled batches 3 and 4 yet.

Just ordered a refractometer.

i guess that means i have #684?

had it for 8 months. it was floating in the star san bucket, i pulled it out and shook it off... a little too violently, i suppose, ended up tapping the side of the star san bucket and cracked it. luckily i received my refractometer just last week. i was hoping to do a few side-by-side readings to compare numbers between the two instruments. seems silly to buy another hydrometer now, but i'd really like to know how the new tool compares to the old...

Me zero, #684

My buddy broke his this week, #685

He snapped the top off with a quick shake, clean break just above the chart. Now it reads 15 points higher than mine.

What caused that? Less glass weight? No longer sealed...?

Toy4Rick

Just got a new one from Williams. When I went to take it out of the tube, shattered on the floor, so #686. Good thing I still have a spare.

While cleaning my kitchen, I knocked my hydrometer test tube with hydrometer inside.

Wood floor 1, hydrometer 0

While cleaning my kitchen, I knocked my hydrometer test tube with hydrometer inside.

Wood floor 1, hydrometer 0

Edit: Not sure why the double post, also not sure why the 'Edit/Delete Message' button doesn't let me delete message

This vBulletin 3.8.x technology is really showing it's age

Opened the tube I keep my hydrometer in and out falls the tip and some small pieces of glass. This one broke while in the tube and in my box of testing equipment. This makes #3 for me.

Clay

Washed it, put it in dish rack, it falls, cracks and when I lifted it up it broke in half. Had it for 8 months though!

Broken a brand new one this morning while checking my Cascade ipa before I bottle today!

Sit the sample on the counter turned to put my bung back in and bam! I swear my house is haunted and the ghost hates me, or my beer!

#674- While drinking/brewing managed to stop its fall and thought "man i almost broke my hydro. I need the be more careful". Then a few seconds later it fell out through the broken bottom of the storage tube... Oh well, the replacement only cost a few bucks and it has more colors on it.... so it must be better. :)

#676 I was washing my hydrometer, quite vigorously when it cracked at the midway point and lodged it self in my finger, but no stitches!

679- dropped it on the carpet but it landed at a weird angle on the stem. It exploded like I had hit it with a hammer. Craziness. It was my first one, though.

680 -rolled off table after brewing 2nd batch ever. Decided I needed to be more careful.

681- getting ready to bottle 4th batch.carefully placed hydro in middle of table where I thought it was out of the way. After emptying carboy into bottling bucket placed carboy directly onto hydro to make room for the bucket. Man these things are sensitive at this rate I'm thinking I need to go ahead and buy one every time I get my grains

683 - I have absolutely no idea what happened. I was drawing my sample of cooled wort into the hydrometer tube and I noticed it didn't float. When I tried to move it the top half sprung up. I guess I was due. This one made it over 2 years. Just sucks because I have no idea what the OG is on my new IPA recipe. Oh well..

685- 13 years ago, rolled off the counter, & onto the floor.
686 & 687- early this year, a week apart. same story.

2 replacements & all my fingers crossed. which makes it hard to type.

Back