Suggestions for London & Paris?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlindLemonLars

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In a few short days I'll be leaving on a long deserved vacation, spending one week in London, followed by a week in Paris.

So who can tell me what, as a beer lover, I absolutely must experience? What spectacular beers that aren't available here should I be looking for?

I'd also appreciate suggestions for good pubs and other drinking establishments. I'll be staying in the Hyde Park area of London, I'm not sure about Paris.

Thanks!

Go to Germany. :D

Actually, you will find loads of pubs in London. Orfy should be able to point you in the right direction. Be prepared to fork out some cash for beer though. The dollar sucks big time.

As far as Paris is concerned, don't bother with beer. Try some wine.

EdWort said:
As far as Paris is concerned, don't bother with beer. Try some wine.
Oh believe me, I'll be drinking wine! I figured there MUST be some beer worth trying though. Bier de Garde is the only French style I know of.

You can't go wrong in London. Just stay away from the large chain pubs with laminated Menus. Go for the hand pumps. Soho has some of the best pubs.
Get yourself a Dick Whittington Ale Trail map and mark the beers off on that. You'll get free t-shirts. It covers most of the best pub areas in London.

http://www.londonaletrail.co.uk/

Example.

Historic Blackfriars SE1 / EC4

Take in some delightful riverside views. Visit Fleet Street, the historic home of journalists. And admire the splendid architecture of St. Paul's Cathedral.
What to look out for on the way

From the Doggett's Coat & Badge(1), head north over Blackfriars Bridge towards The Black Friar(2). The bridge was first opened in 1769 and, for a time, charged a toll. It was 12 years before public anger at having to pay finally culminated in a mass riot that saw the toll house completely torn down and reluctant officials conceding defeat. As you cross the bridge today free of charge, it might interest you to know that the statue of Queen Victoria you'll find at the other end was, according to some, only constructed in an attempt to justify the costs of the bridge’s eventual completion in 1869.

The Old Bell Tavern(3) brings you to Fleet Street, named after the River Fleet which flowed here in the 14th century. The street, until very recently, was the historic home of journalism. Actually, the printed word has a fine history in this area, stretching back to around 1500. It was then that William Caxton's own apprentice (who had the ironic name Wynkyn De Worde) started a printing shop in Shoe Lane. The very first newspaper, 'The Daily Courant', was also published here in 1702.

Your journey onwards to the Ye Olde Watling(4) and Williamson's Tavern(5) takes you past St. Paul's Cathedral, famously redesigned after the Great Fire of London by Sir Christopher Wren. This structure is actually the fifth 'St Paul's Cathedral' London has known in its time. In the mid 16th century, St Peter’s of Westminster, which had been promoted to cathedral status, had many of its estates sold off to pay for repairs of St Paul's, giving rise to the modern expression 'robbing Peter to pay Paul'.

The final leg of the trail brings you back on yourself, crossing south over the Millennium Bridge and passing the modern day Globe Theatre, 200 yards from where the original once stood. It was also the very first thatched building permitted in London after the Great Fire in 1666. Hopefully, you will have sampled a fair bit of history along this trail. Not to mention some fine real ale.

Which arrondissement you are staying in? Each one has it's own unique offerings.
There is so much excellent food in France, it's not even funny. How much ching do you have to drop on dinner while in Paris?
Lefe and Grimbergen Double seem to be ubiquitous on tap. :mug: Can you steal away to Belgium for a day trip? It's a short ride to Brussels on the TGV and would be well worth the time if you can fit it in.

Glibbidy said:
Which arrondissement you are staying in? Each one has it's own unique offerings.
There is so much excellent food in France, it's not even funny. How much ching do you have to drop on dinner while in Paris?
Lefe and Grimbergen Double seem to be ubiquitous on tap. :mug: Can you steal away to Belgium for a day trip? It's a short ride to Brussels on the TGV and would be well worth the time if you can fit it in.

I'll be staying at the Mercure Paris Suffren Tour Eiffel, 75015. I definitely plan to do some eating there! My girlfriend is quite the gourmand, and she's doing the restaurant research. I suppose we'll spend what we have to, it's not like I go there everyday. (I'll probably regret that statement!)

I'll look into a visit to Brussels, maybe it's a possibility. We're taking an organized tour on our first day in Paris, to get all the ultra-touristy stuff out of the way. The remainder of the week is wide open.

I'll dig up my notes when I get home for some excellent places to indulge in food.
For starters.... If you want an AMAZING dining experience check out Le Pre Catelan which is right in town, but in an amazing park. Hands down one of the most incredible gastronomy experiences you will ever enjoy. :fro: Another link for Lenotre with Pre Catelan
Oh yeah, and be prepared to drop some bills for dinner...

Like Cheese?
Alleosse will absolutley friggin knock your socks off. If you are into raw milk stuff, you'll be in heaven.

As far as Brussels goes, the TGV & Eurostar leave from Gare Du Nord a few times daily. The ride takes about 90 minutes :)

I was in Paris last year and found Académie De La Bière to be quite enjoyable. Thay had a large selection of Belgian and other international beers along with some good Biere de Garde as well. You also might want to check out La Gueuze which lived up to it's name by having several Lambic beers available.

There is also a Brewpub chain in Paris with a few locations, the original being The Frog & Rosbif (others include The Frog & British Library, The Frog & Princess and The Frog at Bercy Village). The Frog & Rosbif was a raucus place with a younger crowd and more of a British Style Pub decor.

It is just a short train ride to Brussels (approx. 1.5 hrs) and would make a very nice day trip.

In London, my favorite pub is The Black Friar (Be sure to go to the back room which is absolutely amazing to look at). And of course you have to head over to Ye Old Cheshire Cheese if for nothing but the history.

I'm in Belgium right now and the € is killing me. We're on our way to Antwerp.

If you make it to Brussels, go to la Morte Subite or la Becausse to feel like a local. Go to café Delyrium for the 2004+ beers.

I regret missing Cantillon, I may not make it back this trip. Look into that, if Brussels is in the cards.

orfy said:
Hey ollllo, you're up and about early. 06:30 here.
Too early to leave Bruge. I'm looking up the bars in Antwerp. This has been the best free WiFi since I've been here. Doing my research while SWMBO sleeps in.

Back