Can my Carboy be too big?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremy586

Reaction score
I keep having a problem with stale paper towel tasting beer. I'm sure it's a oxygen problem. I usually ferment in a 6.5gallon carboy and fill it to about 4 or 4.5gallons of wort. I top off with burst of co2 and am always carful when using my auto siphon into a keg. Is the 6.5gal carboy to big for a 4gal batch?

I keep having a problem with stale paper towel tasting beer. I'm sure it's a oxygen problem. I usually ferment in a 6.5gallon carboy and fill it to about 4 or 4.5gallons of wort. I top off with burst of co2 and am always carful when using my auto siphon into a keg. Is the 6.5gal carboy to big for a 4gal batch?

The yeast would eat the oxygen up very quickly. I use a 6.5 and it works out fine for my 4 gallon batches.

The last Munich Dunkel I made was in the 6.5gal for primary for about 25days and then in a 5gal carboy for secondary for another 40 days.

Head space does not matter in the primary... however, that much head space in the secondary can cause oxygenation and a cardboard flavor.

when transferring into your keg post fermentation do you immediately put a bit of CO2 on it and pull the bleeder on top to push out all the O2? I'm always diligent to take a filled keg over to my CO2 setup and put about 30 to 35 psi on it right away to set the seals then bleed off some of the excess pressure to ensure there is nothing but CO2 left in the keg.

Back