BeerSmith 2.0 and Original Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeal

Reaction score
I seem to have a problem the estimated OG on beersmith is never close to my actual OG. My estimated was 1.063 and my actual Og was 1.102!!!! Is there anyway to fix or change the values of ingredients to make it more accurate is there a table perhaps to do this.

Did you boil off more than expected or just get more efficiency?
If its more boil off then expected:
Under Profile->Equipment
select and double click your equipment you use.
Change your boil off to what your system was.

If its before the boil:
Under Profile->Equipment
select and double click your equipment you use.
Now change the brewhouse efficiency

All grain, extract, or partial mash? What was your grain bill? How did you take your reading and is it calibrated?

That's a huge difference that you should be able to tell just from looking at it.

All grain, extract, or partial mash? What was your grain bill? How did you take your reading and is it calibrated?

That's a huge difference that you should be able to tell just from looking at it.

Extract.

3lbs Extra Light DME
3.3 Lbs Dark LME
6.1 oz Chocolate
12 oz Crystal 60
12oz Roasted Barley
2lbs Honey

Hydrometer. As Far as calibrated it reads 0 on just plain water.

The equipment option was 5 Gallon Extract Boil.
I topped it off with tap water to the 5 gallon amount after boil and the took the reading.

Currently going through one hell of a fermentation.

I just punched in your extracts/honey and see that BeerSmith 2.0 does give an OG of 1.063/64. Here are my thoughts on what could have happened:
1. incorrect measurements on sugars added
2. incorrect reading of refract/hydrometer
3. incorrect reading of final volume (should be easy to tell based on how full the ferm is).

So if you KNOW you have close to 5 gallons volume, then it's got to be issue 1 or 2 above.
If you are CERTAIN you added those amounts of sugars, then that only leaves issue 2.

Are you certain you took your original gravity reading AFTER adding the top-up water post-boil, and are you confident that nothing affected the accuracy of that measurement?

Also, how did you take the sample? If you didn't stir after adding the top off wort and used something like a wine thief, you would be pulling the some higher concentrated wort off the bottom.

Extract.

3lbs Extra Light DME
3.3 Lbs Dark LME
6.1 oz Chocolate
12 oz Crystal 60
12oz Roasted Barley
2lbs Honey

Hydrometer. As Far as calibrated it reads 0 on just plain water.

The equipment option was 5 Gallon Extract Boil.
I topped it off with tap water to the 5 gallon amount after boil and the took the reading.

Currently going through one hell of a fermentation.

It's impossible to get over 1.065 with that much sugar. Your hydrometer reading is wrong. The sugars have a set amount, and you simply can't get more sugar out of them. In a 5 gallon batch, the OG of this beer is about 1.064, give or take a few points.

When you topped up to 5 gallons, you almost have to "whip" the wort to mix it well before taking the hydrometer reading, as the heavier wort will sink to the bottom. Honey, especially, won't mix all that well.

Thanks guys, it must be that I pull it off the bottom I use a auto siphon to get at the wort. I'll start stirring it before hand.

Back