Farmhouse Ale fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyrrhuloxia

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I brewed up my first all grain batch, a farmhouse ale using White Labs' American Farmhouse Blend (WLP670), about three weeks back. This is my first time using a yeast blend that contains Brettanomyces, and I am interested in hearing any opinions on how long I should give this beer in the primary. I've already hit my target FG, and the beer has some pretty interesting flavors going on (nice spice, sour, good amount of funk), but I've read that Brett may need some extra time to really do its thing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

I'll definitely report back when I have a finished beer. I liked the way it tasted early on, and I think once all the flavors mellow out its going to be really good. It'd be an interesting yeast for an IPA.

What your target gravity might not mean a whole lot for you in this instance. What gravity are you currently at? If you're close to 1.004 then you are probably done. I have a brett saison finishing up right now. It was sitting at 1.006 two weeks ago and I am just waiting to make sure it doesn't drop any further before I try and bottle the beer.

Typically, brett needs 30 days to fully attenuate and much longer to really develop into what is a farmhouse ale

As a secondary yeast, Brett doesn't fully reproduce unltil about 8 months. If you want everything out of the Brett, you are going to have to leave it for a while.

Back