Great attenuation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor Frink

Reaction score
I just kegged my first all grain from my primary fermenter. The SG was 1.045 and my final gravity was 1.002!:ban: I've never had my final gravity so low. Is this a product of doing all grain?

Are you sure it's 1.002? That's super low and will make for a very dry beer. What yeast did you use and what ferm. temp? I would be worried about a bacterial infection with that low of a fg. How does it smell and taste?

I was suprised it was so low too, but it was barely above 1. I used WYeast 1098 and fermented at about 74 degrees for 2 weeks. It definitely doesn't taste infected, it actually tastes kind of like Miller Genuine Draft. The sourness from the sourmash wasn't as strong as I hoped and I didn't hop it all that much. It's a Flying Fish Farmhouse Clone by the way.

Holy cow! That is the lowest FG I've ever heard of in a beer. That has got to be some dry stuff. What did you make it with and what was your mash temp?

that is crazy attenuation man, I would keep a very close eye on it and see how it acts in the next couple of weeks. if there is npp chance of it mellowitgn out then you may hve an ifection if not hen it may jhust be over carbonatted.
holy crap i just re-read that and Iam :drunk: rihgt now and hav e no busines being here righ t now!

I've never had one go below 1.006. My AG tend to attenuate more than extract, but your results are extreme. If you had a thin mash that started just above 150F and drifted down to 140F, you would get a very fermentable wort. I suspect this will be dry & not have much body.

Here's the recipe:

10 lbs. 2-row american pale ale
0.5 lbs. Wheat malt
6 oz. Carapils

Struck with 3.6 gals at 165, 152 degree mash for 60 min, sparged with 7 gals @ 170 degrees, ended up with 6.5 gals. Did 90 minute boil with the following hop schedule:

0.5 oz. styrian goldings 60 min.
0.5 oz. magnum 60 min.
0.5 oz. styrian goldings 30 min.
0.5 oz. styrian goldings 2 min.

ended up with about 5.5 gals after the boil, the gravity before I pitched was 1.045, so my efficiency was pretty good. The final gravity was 1.002, and I checked it 2 seperate times, so it's definitely that low.

It did seem like kind of a dry beer, but other than that, it didn't seem to have any off flavors. I kegged it last night, but I have to finish up my cherry wheat that's on tap before I can force carb it. I need a bigger kegerator:drunk:

If you checked the FG at 74 deg as well, then @ 60 it would be 1.004-1.005 off hand.

BTW, 10.6 gallons down to 6.5 in the kettle is a heck of a lot of loss with less that 11 lbs of grain. How much deadspace is in your lautertun?

There was some liquid left in the mash tun (not too much) when I stopped sparging, once I had 6.5 gallons the sparge was at about 1 for the gravity, so I just started the boil there.

And wop31, if I were a cubbies fan, I'd probably be drinking pretty hard too. Go Mets!

Back