Saison recipe??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to brew up a quick Saison so I can use the yeast cake for the 10-10-10 BGSA. Anyone have a favorite recipe? I'm not looking for something too out there, just a good solid 5G AG recipe.

I plan on using some Breiss Pilsner malt and some White Labs Belgian Yeast (not sure of the strain off the top of my head).

My Saison DuPont clone came out fantastic.

Saison Dupont Clone
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 6/19/2009
Style: Saison Brewer: Michael
Batch Size: 5.00 gal Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 6.41 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 % Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (5 Gal)
Actual Efficiency: 2.24 %
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
8 lbs 4.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 78.26 %
14.7 oz Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
7.3 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
1.26 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 22.9 IBU
0.15 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
0.18 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (4 min) Hops 0.5 IBU
0.83 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min) Misc

1 Pkgs Belgian Saison I Ale (White Labs #WLP565) Yeast-Ale huge starter.

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.061 SG (1.048-1.065 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.018 SG (1.002-1.012 SG)
Estimated Color: 4.0 SRM (5.0-14.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 24.7 IBU (20.0-35.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 7.6 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.67 % (5.00-7.00 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 0.65 %
Actual Calories: 43 cal/pint

Mash Profile Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Mash Tun Weight: 7.00 lb
Mash Grain Weight: 9.63 lb Mash PH: 5.4 PH
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Sparge Water: 4.81 gal Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 12.03 qt of water at 164.8 F 153.0 F 45 min

Add 1 pound of homemade invert sugar to primary after Krauzen falls down

I added yeast hulls, and managed to drive it down to an fg of 1.009 iirc

Typically you want to mash at mostly lower temperatures to maximize the amount of fermentable sugars and improve attenuation.

According to Farmhouse Ales the typical mash schedule is a protein rest at around 113F for 30 minutes, then a step at 131F for 15 minutes, then a saccharification rest at 144F for 30 minutes, and a 15 minute dextrine rest at 154F before mashing out.

Are you using the Saison yeast for the 101010? A saison is not a saison without a saison yeast.

The 101010 is a golden strong, which has a much different yeast.

Are you using the Saison yeast for the 101010? A saison is not a saison without a saison yeast.

The 101010 is a golden strong, which has a much different yeast.

I was under the impression that they both used a similar yeast. I will check and see what I have at home at lunch.

I was under the impression that they both used a similar yeast. I will check and see what I have at home at lunch.

Only in that they are beers of Belgian origin using a Belgian yeast strain employing similar grists - but that is where the similarities stop. Saison yeast strains are entirely different animals from other Belgian strains.

What I got was a WLP400, which I think I was planning on using for a Witbier. After reading the White Labs site, I think I'll be getting a different yeast for the Saison, and the BGSA both.

But I have to use that yeast cause the expiration is coming up fast. I will probably brew up a 1/2 batch of Wit just to get back in practice. Maybe start the starter tonight and brew it this weekend.

My Saison DuPont clone came out fantastic.

I added yeast hulls, and managed to drive it down to an fg of 1.009 iirc

LOL! I just read the details of your recipe, and I think I can say with confidence that there is no way I could measure my hops that accurately!

Measure in grams. So much more accurate.

Yeah, but I'm not sure I have a scale that is capable of reading that small. I did buy a new scale recently, just for grains/hops/cooking, but I'm not confident that it can read fractions of 1 ounce repeatedly. It can do heavier stuff very accurately, but it has a hard time picking up the small additions.

What I got was a WLP400, which I think I was planning on using for a Witbier. After reading the White Labs site, I think I'll be getting a different yeast for the Saison, and the BGSA both.

But I have to use that yeast cause the expiration is coming up fast. I will probably brew up a 1/2 batch of Wit just to get back in practice. Maybe start the starter tonight and brew it this weekend.

You don't have to feel pressured to use any properly stored yeast my friend. Bobby M posted a great thread on his experiments using year past expiration liquid yeast with a starter and it worked fine...I have done the same.

In fact I buy tubes of past due yeast from cap n cork for iirc, 3.00 a piece, they are anywhere up to 6 or 8 months old, and I have never had a problem...Even did one tube of 8 month old in a 2.5 gallon batch without a starter and it took off fine.

Remember yeasties have to reproduce first anyway...so it only takes a few viable cells to grow into a huge starter incrementally. That's why we can harvest yeast from bottles.

So don't panic about expiring yeast, you'll be fine if it's not used immediately.

And +1 about converting to grams and using the gram side of the digital scale for those odd volumes of hops.

1 gram is a fraction of an ounce, so if your scale measures in grams, then it is golden.

Yes, I understand, but when I took my scale to work to check calibration, it would read the heavier weights perfectly, each time. When we went to check with very light objects, like coins, it would often not read until there was a significant number of them on the scale.

I suppose the way to get around this is to weigh the hops in a heavier container. I'll have to give that a try.

This sucks. I wanted to brew on Sunday and it looks like I won't have all ingredients by then and I am not paying expedite shipping! I wonder if anyone going to the Beer Festival in Ludington can bring some...

Back