Next Day Frittata

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNVince

Reaction score
CIMG1561.jpg

After looking through this forum I've noticed that massive amounts of meats seems to be a trend (and a damn good trend) amongst home brewers. With all that meat around there is bound to be some leftovers the next day. What to do with it? Throw it in Italy's favorite left-over dish the frittata.

In Italy, the frittata is often served as a breakfast, lunch, or very late lunch dish. It was created to deal with the left-overs people had from dinner the night before. It's economical and tasty. What more could you want.

The beauty of the frittata is that you can put almost any combination of meat, cheese, and vegetables in the dish. This morning I had left-over roasted peppers and some marinara sauce from last night so I whipped up one of these Italian open-faced omelettes for the family.

Next Day Frittata

10 Large Eggs
1/2 Cup Of Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 Cup Of Whole Milk
1/2 Cup Left-Over Roasted Peppers
1/2 Cup Of Left-Over Marinara Sauce
Salt & Pepper To Taste *
1 Tablespoon Of Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Of Butter

* If you have a salty or peppery left-over you need to adjust thusly so your dish is not too salty or peppery.

Whisk together the eggs, Parmesan cheese, whole milk, salt and pepper thoroughly in a large bowl. Melt the butter and olive oil in a 12 inch non-stick oven proof pan over high heat.

Once the butter has melted add your egg mixture to the pan followed by the left-overs you want in the frittata (in my case it was just the roasted peppers). Give the entire mixture a quick stir in the pan so the left-overs are distributed evenly.

Cook on high heat for 1 minute to set the bottom of the frittata then cover the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low for 2-3 minutes to cook the middle. Remove the lid and place the entire pan under the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until the top of the frittata sets with golden brown spots. The entire mixture may be very runny before it goes under the broiler but thats normal. The broiler really sets a lot of the frittata.

Let it cool for a minute or two and then slide it out on to a dish. Garnish with some more Parmesan cheese and some parsley if you like.

I used the marinara sauce for dunking the frittata in this one but you certainly could have just added it to the entire egg mixture. If serving to guests, don't be cheap like me and use a real plate. Not a paper plate.

CIMG1563.jpg

I've made frittatas with so many combinations of things I can't even recall. Here are a few of my favorites:

Bacon and American cheese (The classic)
Prosciutto and mozzarella cheese
Canadian bacon, sauteed onions, and American cheese (My personal favorite)

As for pairing I think it certainly depends on the fillings you use although I definitely think it should be something that isn't too intense on the palette considering how light and airy the frittata is . I would suggest a lot of you try throwing the left-over BBQ stuff you have in there and do some experimentation. I would love to know how this turns out with something like pulled-pork and an interesting cheese or some grilled sausage and veggies.

Cheeers!

Also, this dish is usually kid approved.

CIMG1564.jpg

Dude, I was making this right as a I saw your post with left over Chinese.

It's a weekend staple in this household.

Pics to follow!

olllllo said:
Dude, I was making this right as a I saw your post with left over Chinese.

It's a weekend staple in this household.

Pics to follow!

Sweet! Left over Chinese. That's got to be tasty.

Looks good. I do basically the same recipe but use a 350F oven for 20 minutes to set it, maybe with a quick shot of broiler time to give it some color.

My favorite additions:
- fresh thyme
- sweat some onions and peppers in the butter before adding the egg/cheese
- diced ham or crumbled sausage
- morningstar farms 'sausage' crumbles - for vegetarians or during lent
- any melting cheese I have on hand

Good stuff.

Back