Clear beer towards end of keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsengineer

Reaction score
Ok, I'm puzzled with this mystery. I have noticed this on my last couple of PA/IPA batches. Towards the last gallon or so from the keg the beer flows almost crystal clear. At first I thought this was because it had been sitting for longer than when I first tapped the keg. However, I do 10 gallon batches and after I tapped the 2nd keg (it sat for just as long as the last gallon on the 1st keg) I noticed it was as cloudy as the first beer pour from the 1st keg.

Thoughts?

I've noticed the same thing. Was your other keg in the fridge for the same amount of time? To me, it's basically a slow cold crash.

Yes, it was. I first thought a slow cold crash but when I verified with the 2nd keg that the beer is cloudy I just couldn't understand it.

I hope this doesn't sound too stupid, but, is it colder at the bottom of the keezer? Could that create a clearer beer towards the bottom?

I hope this doesn't sound too stupid, but, is it colder at the bottom of the keezer? Could that create a clearer beer towards the bottom?

Good idea, however I don't believe that is the case. One keg was in a keezer with a large fan keeping the air "even." The other was in a fridge. Both exhibited the same issue.

I really had no idea. I am building a keezer and the question just made me think about temp difference from top to bottom. I think I will now go install a fan. I have not installed the collar, but I did notice the longer the keg sat, the clearer the beer.

Good luck.

You probably have chill haze that is settling out very slowly. The top half of the second keg you just tapped is probably clear too. You just can't tell becouse you are pulling beer from the bottom of the keg.

beaksnbeer said:
Plus the fact that you draw beer through a tube at the bottom of the keg.

You see, that is why I Love this place! I should have thought about the tube pulling from the bottom. : )

You probably have chill haze that is settling out very slowly. The top half of the second keg you just tapped is probably clear too. You just can't tell becouse you are pulling beer from the bottom of the keg.

So in theory I should pour clear beer when 1.5 or 2.0 gallons is left vs. 1 gallon?

Latest posts

Back