Help-Strike Water Temp Calculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Still trying to get it all "put together"

Strike water. I found a calculator on "homebrewing.com" for calculating the temp.. but it has one box I don't know how to fill in because I've never used my new mash tun. I'm going to be doing small batches.. 2.5G.. so I built a MT out of a 25 Qt (5G) Igloo drink cooler. (rectangular.. not round)

Since I've never used it, How do I know what the "Equipment Loss" will be?

I know it would be a wild guess on anyone's part.. but, what might be a good starting number for my first batch? Another option is to pre-heat the MT.. That should almost make that part of the equation moot.

As it is, if I omit any loss.. IOW, if I say there is NO loss due to equipment, my strike water should be 167* for 6.6# grain.

I'm guessing it should be about 170* plus.. but not sure how much plus.. :)

You can assume anywhere from 0-2qts and be close --as you said depends on your system. I think most people have about 1/2 qt dead space though.

I'm on my cell phone app and don't have my brewing software to calculate infusion temp for you, but 170* for 6 lbs sounds a little high depending on what your mash temp is.

I have a 10 gallon Rubbermaid mashtun and I have been using 2-3 degrees for equipment heat loss and my temps have been right where I need them to be. If I was you, I would do the same for the first batch. Try using 3 degrees and you can adjust once you have some history behind you.

As it is, if I omit any loss.. IOW, if I say there is NO loss due to equipment, my strike water should be 167* for 6.6# grain.

I'm guessing it should be about 170* plus.. but not sure how much plus

When you say 170*, I hope you are guessing at the strike water temp, not the target temp...

I typically get strike water temps around 165-167 with the intent of setting in at 152* or so. It really all depends on the pounds of grain and volume of water and the equipment loss you know from history. Like I said, I would assume 2-3* for equipment.

Shows how dead I am on this whole thing.. :)
I'm wanting my Mash Temp to be 154* So, If I'm using a heated MT.. and grain is at 70* I should only have to raise the Strike temp in the kettle a few degrees? I'd think the grain would really suck the heat. I'm only be using about 6.5# of grain in the 6G ice chest.

Also, sparge temp? I think, from what I've read, I should sparge at about 168*. Should that be my temp from the HLT into the MT.. or should it be a couple degrees higher also? Or, is that even critical?

Are you talking about thermal loss to the mash tun? If so, you can minimize this by preheating the tun before you add grain or strike water. I just fill the mash tun with hot water from my faucet (its about 130F) and let it set until I'm ready to go. Then I dump the hot water and grain and strike water and go from there.

The first time I did a mash, I forgot to preheat. If I remember correctly, the mash temp ended up about 2 degrees F less than what I was shooting for, not a major issue.

Yessir.. Sounds like I only have t account for a couple of degrees.. which is good.. I'll keep track of all of my numbers on this first brew.. now where is my binder?? :D

Should be able to build a reasonable profile from there.

Back