Extract brew day of an Old Rasputin clone, start to finish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser442

Reaction score
I made this post for my friends on a truck board a few months ago to show how I make the beer I'm always giving away (so it's written from a "duh... now you hafta add yeast to make teh b00ze" point of view) - thought it might be of interest here.

I'm still fairly new, so I'm sure my technique isn't perfect - but so far I've managed to make a half dozen or so pretty good beers.

/*******************************************************/

I decided to get a bunch of pictures of a brewing session... it's not terribly complicated, but it might make for an interesting photo essay.

The beer I was making in these pictures is a clone of North Coast Brewing Company's "Old Rasputin". It's a Russian Imperial Stout - a big big beer with nearly 10%ABV.

All of the beers I make have basically the same steps, this one just had a lot more of everything to put in at each step than most.

Pic 1:
All the ingredients ready to go form the homebrew store. This beer cost me about $70 for what will turn into 5 gallons, which is about twice what most homebrew kits cost.
Oh - a note on the different kit options: The first step in making beer is to mill the grain and then put it in warm water. The grain starts to try to germinate (grow) and it releases enzymes which start to break down the starches into sugars. This is called malt extraction. Once your grain-water has turned into grain-sugar-water you can filter out the particulates and use this sugary water to make beer... this is the old-school hardcore way to start... kind of like baking bread by making your own flour first.
There are companies that do this and sell the resulting concentrated product as either a liquid (called Liquid Malt Extract, or LME) or as a powder (Dry Malt Extract, DME).
If you pick one of the homebrew store's recipe kits (as opposed to just asking them for specific ingredients, which you can also do), they will sell it to you as an all-grain kit , a mini-mash kit, or an extract kit. The all-grain kit is cheaper, but it involves the above process plus more equipment, more time etc. An extract kit, on the other hand, just uses a little bag of specialty grains on a short soak for flavoring and it gets most of its fermentable sugars from DME or LME. Mini-mash is somewhere in the middle.
I do extract brewing because it's simpler and easier, though more expensive.
DSC_1013.jpg

Cleaning the brew pot
DSC_1015.jpg

Warming up the liquid extract so it will pour easier when the time comes for that
DSC_1016.jpg

Pouring 2 gallons of awesome Austin tap water into the brew pot and firing up the propane cooker. The net is to keep bugs and debris out... sometimes I just use the pot lid:
DSC_1018.jpg

DSC_1021.jpg

DSC_1023.jpg

Putting the specialty flavoring grains into a nylon bag and soaking it like a teabag for 25 minutes at 155 degrees. After the soak, let the water drain from the bag and add another gallon of water to the pot (I chose to pour the new water through the grain bag to get some more flavor washed out of it)
DSC_1025.jpg

DSC_1028.jpg

DSC_1032.jpg

Cranking the cooker back up to bring the contents to a boil.
DSC_1035.jpg

Prepping and adding the liquid malt extract (10lbs of amber extract)
DSC_1038.jpg

DSC_1041.jpg

DSC_1043.jpg

This beer calls for so much sugar they also gave me 2lbs of amber dry malt extract. In that goes!
DSC_1050.jpg

Preparing the first batch of hops that will be put in the brew. Hops added at this stage in the brewing process are called bittering hops.
DSC_1062.jpg

Okay, so the hops bags come in increments of 1oz and this recipe called for 3.5oz of Cluster hops for bittering... so I had a little bit left over and decided to eat a pellet. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS.
DSC_1067.jpg

Brought to a boil (with a lot of stirring) after adding all the sugars, adding the bittering hops, and setting a timer for 1 hour:
DSC_1070.jpg

DSC_1073.jpg

DSC_1074.jpg

DSC_1077.jpg

Back inside to do some cleaning and sanitizing of the primary fermenter bucket and anything else that will touch the brew (called wort, pronounced wert) once it has cooled down
DSC_1078.jpg

DSC_1079.jpg

A look at the yeast we will be using. The strain of yeast used has a tremendous amount to do with the kind of beer you get. There are two vials here because this is such a high gravity beer - you need more yeast cells to be able to handle it properly. Another option is to start several days ahead of time and make a "starter" - you basically make a mini beer with no hops and let the yeast start multiplying. Buying two vials lets me skip making a starter, but it costs more as each vial is something like $7.
DSC_1081.jpg

A glass of my Amber beer to help pass the time. As they say, RDWHAHB. Relax, don't worry! have a home brew!
DSC_1082.jpg

The next opportunity to mess with the brew comes 15 minutes before the hour of boiling is up. If you add more hops at this stage, they are called flavor hops. This recipe does not call for any flavor hops.

Another opportunity to mess with things comes in the last 5 minutes of the brew. Hops added at this stage are called aroma hops. This recipe calls for 1oz of Northern Brewer hops and 1oz of Centennial hops:
DSC_1083.jpg

DSC_1084.jpg

DSC_1086.jpg

The hour is up and the brewing is done! Time to cool this stuff off ASAFP. I use my shop sink full of water, which I change several times before finally dumping in some ice. There are special wort chillers you can use, but my sink is still working okay for now.
DSC_1087.jpg

DSC_1089.jpg

Time to dump the sanitizing solution (which is just an acid) out of the fermenter and get the chilled wort in there! The saying with Star San sanitizer is "Don't fear the foam". It doesn't hurt anything if a bit of foam is left in the fermenter.
DSC_1091.jpg

DSC_1093.jpg

Adding the wort and then topping off with more water to bring the total volume up to about 5.25 gallons:
DSC_1094.jpg

DSC_1100.jpg

DSC_1101.jpg

DSC_1102.jpg

Add the yeast and cap that sucker!
DSC_1105.jpg

DSC_1108.jpg

.... aaaaand the next day, bubbling happily away under heavy fermentation
yeast farts

From here I'll let it ferment for about two weeks and then transfer it into a glass carboy for further settling and aging for a month or two (this beer needs to sit for a long time - 6 months would be better but I'm only so patient). After that, I'll transfer it into a 5 gallon corny keg and use my CO2 bottle to force-carbonate it at about 13psi in my mini fridge.
Around Christmas, we'll be drinking this bad boy.

Cool post, I like that you have good quality pictures of every single step. It's neat seeing how other people brew their beer. How did this turn out?

Thanks. I made the girlfriend chase me around with the D90 taking pictures. I had to edit out an abnormal number of butt pictures.

The beer is great. I ended up forcing in a bit more carbonation than I usually do (I forget what temp my fridge is at, but I went with ~15psi instead of the usual 13) and it really works well for this stout.

nice pictorial. next time someone asks me "so how exactly do you make beer at home?", i'm pointing them to this thread. done and done.

nice one, thanks for that :mug:

I am impressed with this...you make it look simple. I am gonna have to get the stuff together to make my own now:mug:

THIS is what I brought out to your place. When you buy a kit it comes with instructions.

Homebrewtalk is a great site - if you do some more reading here you'll learn everything you need to know.

You don't need all that much stuff to get started, but unless you want to throw money at a force carbonation system right away (CO2 bottle, regulator, hoses and fittings, cornelius keg(s), refrigerator) you'll be bottle conditioning to get the beer carbonated. So instead of kegging it you'll mix some "priming sugar" into the beer and then bottle & cap it. Each bottle will ferment just a little bit more and it will self-carbonate in the bottle. The only problem with this is that it drops a little bit of yeast and sediment in each bottle - so you have to carefully pour it out of the bottle into a glass and leave a little in the bottle to avoid getting the bitter sediment in what you're drinking.

I have entertained doing this for a while. I have been collecting Groetsch Ale bottles for the purpose of bottling, but I really like your baby keg:tank:

THIS is what I brought out to your place. When you buy a kit it comes with instructions.

Homebrewtalk is a great site - if you do some more reading here you'll learn everything you need to know.

You don't need all that much stuff to get started, but unless you want to throw money at a force carbonation system right away (CO2 bottle, regulator, hoses and fittings, cornelius keg(s), refrigerator) you'll be bottle conditioning to get the beer carbonated. So instead of kegging it you'll mix some "priming sugar" into the beer and then bottle & cap it. Each bottle will ferment just a little bit more and it will self-carbonate in the bottle. The only problem with this is that it drops a little bit of yeast and sediment in each bottle - so you have to carefully pour it out of the bottle into a glass and leave a little in the bottle to avoid getting the bitter sediment in what you're drinking.

HAha... I made the mistake of trying a hop pellet one time.... never again, but a great practical joke to pull on your friends!

Great write-up!

Ha, I think I have seen you at AHS. Great store.

I pretty much look like everyone else in Austin with the beard and all, but maybe!

I feel lucky to live within a few miles of a major homebrew store... It's easy to swing by on my lunch break and pick up a new kit.

I've been brewing like mad lately - Chimay Grand Reserve clone two weeks ago, AHS Quadruppel last week (pitched on the Trappist yeast from the Chimay), and another round of Celis White clone tomorrow.

I've also stepped up my game a bit. I'm now making starters, using an immersion chiller, and doing mini mash brews.

I pretty much look like everyone else in Austin with the beard and all, but maybe!

I feel lucky to live within a few miles of a major homebrew store... It's easy to swing by on my lunch break and pick up a new kit.

I've been brewing like mad lately - Chimay Grand Reserve clone two weeks ago, AHS Quadruppel last week (pitched on the Trappist yeast from the Chimay), and another round of Celis White clone tomorrow.

I've also stepped up my game a bit. I'm now making starters, using an immersion chiller, and doing mini mash brews.

I do a lot of half batches to experiment with different things. I brew almost every two weeks. I need to get going on some batches for my kegs to enjoy during the summer. I want to get them done before it gets to hot out.

Starters are a must for those big beers.

I highly recommend the Celis White clone if you like wits (only a 30 minute boil time!)... though my brew day this weekend was a bit of a disaster.

The propane cooker was running WAY too rich for some reason and covered everything in soot, ended up doing my boil on the stove - which has its own problems. Then my new brew bucket filter bag thing (like a shower cap that goes over the brew bucket to filter out sediment) didn't work out well at all. I had it tight over the top of the bucket and the wort just bounced off of it and onto the floor. Then I loosened it, and partway through my pour it got too heavy and fell into the fermenter. The filter bag thing had been sanitized, but the sooty hands I used to retrieve it weren't :-(

Ah well - since I made a starter it took off very quickly, so the yeast is probably beating the heck out of any other beasties that got in there.

Back