Hop Addition/Schedule Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronclark

Constant Brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am using a Coopers IPA pre-hopped can and wanted to do some additional hopping to improve on it.

I was looking at possibly adding 2 oz. of Amarillo and 2 oz. of Centennial to boil for 30 minutes or less for flavoring additions.

I was also planning to dry hop after the primary fermentation subsides with 1 oz. of Amarillo for about 1 week.

I am a relatively new brewer and am new to adding hops altogether.

I also have the following types of hops if changes would be better (I am aware that some of these are said to have no place in an IPA):

Fuggle- 2 oz
Saaz- 2 oz
Cascade- 4 oz
Kent Golding- 4 oz
Styrian Golding- 4 oz
Ahtanum- 6 oz
Northdown- 4 oz
Chinook- 4 oz
Amarillo- 4 oz
Centennial- 4 oz

Along with additional hopping, I plan to add 1 lb. of Clear Candy Sugar (because 3 lbs. were purchased for me as Christmas gifts and I hate to see it go to waste) and 1 3.3 lb. can of Light LME.

I plan to pitch two packs of the Coopers Ale Yeast that I have on-hand because I have no suitable IPA liquid yeast.

Any words of wisdom would be spectacular on this.

Either one, but instead of the others. I would save the Amarillo for a pale ale. I made an all-Amarillo PA and it is really good.

B

That's quite a hop inventory for a new brewer. Personally, I like your original plan - Amarillo is a tasty dry-hop. Green Flash Hop-Head Red is Amarillo dry-hopped and it is delicious.
Alternatively you could go all British with a Fuggle-Golding combination. You could go for broke with a complex hop profile, and the beer will probably be tasty, but you don't learn as much. At the other extreme, you could go single hop and really add to your knowledge. Btw, why is this not going to be an IPA? I'm not familiar with Cooper's yeast, but with an IPA extract, the hops you mentioned and basically any ale yeast, that's going to be an awful lot like an IPA. I guess the sugar will dry it out and push your ABV up a little, but that's still an IPA in my book. Bottom line, you can't go wrong - it will definitely be beer.

There's a guy on here called Uniondr that does amazing things with those prehopped cans.

Back