Blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArroganceFan

Reaction score
I have an open primary bucket that I decided I wanted to fill today, but I realized that all of my airlocks are on my other 3 fermenters. I do have an extra length of siphon hose. Would it be a good idea to use that as a blowoff tube or should I just wait until I can get another airlock? I am worried about it being too small of a diameter, or too long as its over 6' long.

ArroganceFan said:
I have an open primary bucket that I decided I wanted to fill today, but I realized that all of my airlocks are on my other 3 fermenters. I do have an extra length of siphon hose. Would it be a good idea to use that as a blowoff tube or should I just wait until I can get another airlock? I am worried about it being too small of a diameter, or too long as its over 6' long.

If it blocks then it may blow the lid.

Can't you cut the length back?

orfy said:
Long enough to reach your water container.

And that should be a container filled with starsan correct?

Also, Its a dead guy clone and the recipe calls for 1.5oz of perle hops and they sent me 2 oz. Would it hurt to add that extra half ounce?

Sorry for not using the search, I am trying to get this done before SWMBO gets home from work tonight...

ArroganceFan said:
And that should be a container filled with starsan correct?

Also, Its a dead guy clone and the recipe calls for 1.5oz of perle hops and they sent me 2 oz. Would it hurt to add that extra half ounce?

Sorry for not using the search, I am trying to get this done before SWMBO gets home from work tonight...

Your fine with water, or starsan. If the container is on the floor I see no reason for suck back. As for the recipe, you can add the extra 1/2 ounce as it won't hurt however it may not be beneficially to the taste and style your trying to create. I would seal it back up and hold onto it for a future beer if you are trying to make a clone.

BierMuncher said:
Can you do the opposite? Take an airlock off another fermenter that is not likely to blow off and rig that one with a hose?

Thats an idea too, my only fear is pushing the rubber seal into the other bucket

BierMuncher said:
Can you do the opposite? Take an airlock off another fermenter that is not likely to blow off and rig that one with a hose?

I would do it this way as well as the first part of the fermentation is where you need to really watch out for blow off. Its no fun cleaning fermented beer, hops and yeast of your ceiling. I used a siphon hose before and it clogged that night, next morning there was beer EVERYWHERE.

HemiPowered said:
I would do it this way as well as the first part of the fermentation is where you need to really watch out for blow off. Its no fun cleaning fermented beer, hops and yeast of your ceiling. I used a siphon hose before and it clogged that night, next morning there was beer EVERYWHERE.

Thanks for the heads up guys, that is one of the many reasons I love this place. You guys rock :rockin:

You could just leave the lid loose on top of the bucket and seal the hole with duct tape or cover it with a sanitized cloth.

desertbronze said:
You could just leave the lid loose on top of the bucket and seal the hole with duct tape or cover it with a sanitized cloth.

No I wouldn't recommend doing that.

HemiPowered said:
No I wouldn't recommend doing that.

During fermentation, CO2 is being generated and leaving the wort. It doesn't matter if it escapes from under a loose bucket lid or through a piece of sanitized cloth or an airlock. You just need to keep bugs and airborne matter out of the wort.

For that matter, open fermentation is a time-honored brewing practice still used today. There is more than one way to skin a cat.:)

desertbronze said:
During fermentation, CO2 is being generated and leaving the wort. It doesn't matter if it escapes from under a loose bucket lid or through a piece of sanitized cloth or an airlock. You just need to keep bugs and airborne matter out of the wort.

For that matter, open fermentation is a time-honored brewing practice still used today. There is more than one way to skin a cat.:)

Prior to fermentation taking off and after fermentation has completed there is not a sufficient amount of co2 pressure to keep out oxygen, airborne bacteria and wild yeasts. I agree open fermentation is possible but almost all professional brewers shun and oppose this practice for numerous reasons this also includes home brewers. One of which, your batches maybe inconsistent and two may provide off flavors rendering it undesirable. But some may enjoy those random off flavors I totally agree ;).

i would disagree, i'd say most fermentations generate more than enough co2 to keep away airborne bacteria and wild yeasts and maintain that layer well after fermentation is "complete."

it is not the best way to go about it and it is something that should be corrected in the future, but 99.9999% of the time, as long as you practice good sanitation, you will be absolutely fine.

DeathBrewer said:
i would disagree, i'd say most fermentations generate more than enough co2 to keep away airborne bacteria and wild yeasts and maintain that layer well after fermentation is "complete."

it is not the best way to go about it and it is something that should be corrected in the future, but 99.9999% of the time, as long as you practice good sanitation, you will be absolutely fine.

Was actually waiting on your objection Death ;)

How big is your bucket? I have a 6.0 gal that has another 3" to the top, above the 6 gal mark, so at 5.5 gal it has lots of extra space. I never needed a blow off with it at all. Do you have one like that??

If you want you can also skip the lid cover it with sanitized plastic. Fix it in place with a tight string. The CO2 will push out through a loose spot.

Another idea..... (probably the best)

Take a short 3/8 hose ~24-36" loop it in a circle an tie it off so it stays in a loop fill it partially with water. Wah-lah a do it yourself air lock.

Depending on the hose size you need something to fit in the grommet. Like your racking cane!! Maybe you could attach the hose loop to one end of the racking cane and the other in the grommet on the lid.

Good Luck! - :mug:

Back