Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sam Adam's Noble Pils.

Maybe it was just a bad keg, but it tasted like somebody mixed rancid olive oil with a can of Bud

mendocino brewing company blue heron pale ale,I am thinking about going out and licking my dog butt to get the taste out of my mouth. not just me, but also the wife and my nephew who is also a home brewer. yuck

RedGuitar said:
Wild Blue blueberry lager, hands down. It is the only beer I have not been able to finish. If I had realized it was a blueberry beer, I never would have bought one bottle, let alone a six pack. I've even tried to give it to ladies who like fruity drinks, and they've hated it too. It is NASTY.

I will second this. Absolutely the worst. Had about half a glass and handed off the six pack to someone with zero no taste buds.

Banks Beer off the coast of Saint Vincent during a tropical wave.
We even came up with a great tag line for a Banks Beer commercial.
"When you're having a really bad time, we have a really bad beer.
Banks Beer."

TacoBrew said:
I will second this. Absolutely the worst. Had about half a glass and handed off the six pack to someone with zero no taste buds.

I will third it. I can drink this ice cold and it's not bad, but give it a handful of degrees and it becomes foul tasting swill that wrecks any good taste in your mouth. However, I DO recommend using wild blue for beer bread. Sub in this unpalatable brew for another beer in a bread recipe and toss in a handful or two of frozen blueberries. That's better than having this beer toss your cookies.

The prose put forth by the homebrewers in this thread to describe their most reviled brew experience is nothing short of Stephen King eloquence. I really love seeing the new entries competing with the old. My face aches from smiling while I read some of the most original descriptions I have ever read. I mean,
I think it tasted better coming back up than it did going down.
Kind of says it all, lol.

Without question, it was this abomination called "Bicycle Beer." It was a beer/energy drink combo that was around back in the mid-90s. Bright screaming orange and tasted like, well, I guess I've blocked that memory out. It was so bad, my local liquor store gave a CASE away free with any purchase. That should have been my first clue that it'd be awful.

leinenkugels berry weiss- tastes like cheap sugary cereal

big flats the walgreens beer- tastes like fizzy water

bmckenzie said:
mendocino brewing company blue heron pale ale,I am thinking about going out and licking my dog butt to get the taste out of my mouth. not just me, but also the wife and my nephew who is also a home brewer. yuck

You're gonna make your wife and nephew lick the dog's butt? Good luck with that, my wife would fight like hell!
Plus, why pick on the nephew, especially if he's a homebrewer.

Going "Old School" with this, Huber and Fox Deluxe. Both I believe are long gone, and for good reason.

OH. I've never had Huber, but I clearly remember Fox Deluxe from a Rugby road trip back in '87'. We were about halfway between Marquette, MI and I believe we were headed to UW Stout. There were about 8 of us piled in the back of a pickup with a topper on it. We had finnished of a 1/4 barrel and stopped at the first bar we ccould find. That stuff cost us about 10cents a bottle but was definitely the worst I've ever had. I have no doubt it would have tasted better coming out of us.

Anything by San Tan Brewing in Gilbert, AZ. Last time we went there every single beer tasted like soap. This is probably because they are using excessive amounts of high protien malt and are leaving "carbon skeletons" in their brew. Gross!

Hands down the worse beer I've ever had was Pacifico. I don't know if I caught a bad bottle (this was a bbq at a friends house so I don't normally drink that stuff) or that stuff is just naturally vile, but I couldn't get through more than 1/3 of the bottle before tossing it. And that says a lot since I've been able to stomach some pretty nasty batches of homebrew I've made when I was starting.

beerhappy said:
Hands down the worse beer I've ever had was Pacifico. I don't know if I caught a bad bottle (this was a bbq at a friends house so I don't normally drink that stuff) or that stuff is just naturally vile, but I couldn't get through more than 1/3 of the bottle before tossing it. And that says a lot since I've been able to stomach some pretty nasty batches of homebrew I've made when I was starting.

Yeah that beer is nasty! I should have known it was gonna be bad when I bought it from Aldi.

De Koninck Belgian beer. Too yeasty and malty for me. I couldnt bring myself to drink it all. Bevmo may give it 90 pts but I give it a big ick!

"Dude" beer in British Columbia.It came with a Dude toque though, so wasn't a complete waste.It even made the chiken taste bad when I shoved it up it's ass and put it on the bbq.

You know I did have this beer for Brazil that came in a beer of the month club that SWMBO got me. It was like eating a cardboard box.

OP is a communist :cross::mug:

Worst commercial beer...hmmm Abita Purple Haze. That's the raspberry one I believe? Blah that's closer to a malternative IMO :drunk:

All around consistently worst are no surprise: Natural Ice and Milwaukee's Best.

Worst ever had to be a bad batch: A case of Hoegaarden a few years ago that was just plain vile. I've had it a few times since, still not wild about it, but this particular case was awful. We were playing volleyball and any time someone committed a foul they had to drink the beer. We are not the frat boy beer pong types, and this was not a reward. It was THAT bad.

I am grateful for bad commercial beer. It makes me less apologetic for beer I brew that does not appeal to everyone. I sometimes make beer that even I don't like, but I feel better and question my homebrewing skills less, when I taste commercial brews that taste like or taste worse than some that I have made.

Lion Imperial. Friend bought a 6er of it and gave me one. He said it was bad and wanted me to try it. I could hardly get down that one bottle.

I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere already: Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat. Smells and tastes like a bowl of Fruity Pebbles.

I sat and read through this entire thread on my lunch break and it kept me quite amused, I haven't had much beer I couldn't finish but often buy styles I enjoy and usually try to buy brands I've never heard/seen. That being said, I figured I'd branch out and try a Flemish ale a good friend/better beer enthusiast suggested... Big mistake! I found out very quickly that I don't like sours. I don't drink any beer with fruit, so I cannot attest to those, but the people trashing leines shandy, it sounds like exactly what a shandy is supposed to taste like... Beer mixed with sparkling lemonade, my grandparents drink them all summer long

The only beer I could not finish was one of those medley 12 packs of Belgian beers. There were some good beers in there like Golden Draak and Piraat, but the case had to have been a decade old or older. There was literally RUST on the bottle caps. Horrible.

Pg0Lo.jpg

This horrible beer. A special from Trader Joes and was $6.00 for a six pack. I should have known that a beer that cheap could not be good, but I was a fool. I thought "hey, I enjoy IPAs, and even if this is super bitter, no big deal."

Smelled like piss out of the bottle. I tasted one, and since then the rest of the 6 pack has sat in the fridge. I should get rid of it but who knows? Torture doesn't have to be about hurting someone physically.

Leinenkugel Berry Weiss. Crazy sweet, even smells like diabetes.

Wilford Brimley does not approve.
l_33ef8da2aebd4fb1b978119f826a5890.jpg

Tall_Yotie said:
Guinness, at the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin, Ireland.

I figured I would get some flame without explanation. I am not an Irish Stout drinker, so not a fan of the brew to begin with, but can still tell quality. At the Storehouse, however, the beer tasted watered down. There was no character other than thickness and head. It was bland, and the only excuse I could come up with is that it was young. Even my wife, who loves Guinness, only had a third of her pint.

This goes for Guinness we got elsewhere in Ireland as well. Same watered down taste.

They say it tastes different in Ireland... they are right, it is worse.

I agree, actually. I am a huge fan of stouts. Especially Foreign Extra Stouts, Guiness makes a SUPERB FES, but the standard Guiness is terrible. And you are right, it's worse in Ireland.

So, regular Guiness would be my top vote for worst commercial beer. Any of the Pete's Wicked beers would be next. Wicked is a good name for them YUCK!

Corona is also horrible.

Back