Cracked Open Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelsBrewing

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This past Saturday I wanted to check the gravity of my beer after 9 days from OG 1.050 it was 1.012 on Saturday. I wanted to give it a few more weeks for the yeasties to clear things up.

Since Saturday I have noticed any pressure in the Airlock….. hmm
Well, tonight I get home and after giving it a closer look I somehow did not get the lid on all the way so there was a side barely raised up leaving a crack….

What could happen as a result? Oxidation? Anything?

Thanks all!!

:mug:

Hey guys!

If you dont ask you dont know.... haha

I am a middle school principal and I hear all day long "there is no such thing as a silly question class."

Thanks again,

MichaelsBrewing said:
Hi guys,

This past Saturday I wanted to check the gravity of my beer after 9 days from OG 1.050 it was 1.012 on Saturday. I wanted to give it a few more weeks for the yeasties to clear things up.

Since Saturday I have noticed any pressure in the Airlock….. hmm
Well, tonight I get home and after giving it a closer look I somehow did not get the lid on all the way so there was a side barely raised up leaving a crack….

What could happen as a result? Oxidation? Anything?

Thanks all!!

:mug:

Unless you brew in a sewage treatment plant. You should be fine.

I am a middle school principal and I hear all day long "there is no such thing as a silly question class."

As has been said by one of the great teachers of all time...

"There are no stupid questions... Just stupid people" :eek: :D :tank:

For the record, what you encountered is just another of the reasons I hate buckets for fermenting... Luckily, I have enough OTHER fermenters (3 carboy's and a corny keg) that I won't need to use a bucket again. :D

As has been said by one of the great teachers of all time...

"There are no stupid questions... Just stupid people" :eek: :D :tank:

For the record, what you encountered is just another of the reasons I hate buckets for fermenting... Luckily, I have enough OTHER fermenters (3 carboy's and a corny keg) that I won't need to use a bucket again. :D

Ahhhh.... I walked into that one

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar! :fro:

I've done entire batches in a bucket without the lid snapped down. If I couldn't find my airlock or whatever, I'd just cover the hole in the lid with tape, and put the lid on top and not snap it down. In fact, the kits I used for my first couple batches came with instructions recommending this method. You're fine

So, you must brew every weekend to keep up with your consumption... What size batches are you up to? 5 gallons, 10 gallons, 15 gallons? Since you're in Ohio, I'll assume it's at least 10 gallon batches... :D

Actually only 5 gal batches....

I am yet to venture out to the big boys!

I've done entire batches in a bucket without the lid snapped down. If I couldn't find my airlock or whatever, I'd just cover the hole in the lid with tape, and put the lid on top and not snap it down. In fact, the kits I used for my first couple batches came with instructions recommending this method. You're fine

Wow!

This makes me feel much better. Besides, I have heard once the beer is at a certain ABV it is hard for much contaminants to live in it.

Back