Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdYy2

Reaction score
I am trying to create an Irish Red Ale based my own tried an tested Irish Stout Recipe.

The grain bill for the Irish stout was;

4 kg pale Malt (Marris Otter)
0.5 kg Flaked Barley
0.5 kg Roasted Barley

I intend to use the same hops and Irish yeast.

Can any-one help me change the grain bill in order to obtain a rich red colour,
as opposed to the near-black colour i got from this recipe. (i.e. what should i substitute in for the roasted barley??)

Thanks!

Nothing on roasted barley as it will add redness to beer. I'd look thru a few of the irish reds on this forum see what interests you.

Holy far too much roasted barley in your beer, Batman! I would go max 0.17 kg roasted barley; it'll give you a good red colour. I did about .23 kg roasted barley in my last and it was too much. Going over my recommendation will absolutely, without a doubt make your beer dark brown and over power the taste. You'll want to put in some crystal malt in there too, try to balance the colour with something like a 55L. Maybe .25 kg-ish of 40-60L would be a good addition.

As you say, using that amount did totally dominate the taste.

Luckily we were trying for a really dark, 'roasty' stout for winter, and it came out better than i could have ever expected! Very creamy, and and a little harsh at first, but after a month in bottles it went down very well.

I certainly wouldn't use that much roasted barley in any other recipe.

I had thought crystal malt would do the job, I just have no idea of how much to use!

I've seen some amazingly 'red' red ales in my time, but i've never been able to pin down what exactly it is that can achieve that colour.

Do you have BeerSmith? If not, get it! It's a great tool.

Look at my Irish Red under my recipes. I've actually changed it a little since then, and am still refining, but I upped the roasted barley to 6oz (.17kg) and used a lighter crystal than the 80...I think either 55L or 60L, and also decided to drop the biscuit malt, just wasn't any room for it in the flavour profile to be prominent enough for it to matter.

Back