Hop problems in a Bock with Magnum Pellets GR

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
The other day I bought from Ed at Brewmaster's Warehouse the recipe for Shoultz-Meyer Brewery Traditional Bock. I plugged in all the grains into ProMash, even adding the ones that weren't in it by doing research online. My estimated OG was off by only .02, which is fine by me. The problem comes in with the hops. The recipe is for five gallons, 90 min boil. There were no pellet hops in the data base so after consulting several sources I found the Alpha and Beta % and plugged it in with the 60 min boil time of the recipe at .75 oz. It is saying I'll have 40+ IBU which I am only supposed to have 20.9 with this recipe and I will be way out of style, as max is 27. From what I've read on Bock it is really tilted toward the malt and there should be no real hop taste. I am going to enter this in the club's Bock Fest this Spring, so it needs to be my best effort. Can anyone verify .75 oz of Magnum Pellets GR will give IBUs this high in five gallon, and if so what I should do? Is this even an acceptable hop for Bock, as my understanding now is Magnum is an American hop. I sure don't want to be disqualified. Picking up new hops would be easy if I need to switch.

You didn't say what grav, alphas etc. But I just plugged in what I have, which is set up for a 5.86 gallons approx, I use liters, with Magnum at 14.2% AA, with 1.060 gravity, and I get 39.3 IBUs with 60 minutes in the boil.

If I were you, I'd go with what's correct. If you want 21 IBUs, then adjust your hops. If you input the correct AA and time, the software will do calcs correctly...

I use BeerSmith, BTW...

That is probably part of the problem. I've always used BeerSmith and was just trying Promash from a friend to see if I like it and will buy it (I think I like BeerSmith better) OG is 1.069. Sorry about that; I am new and I forgot gravity affected utilization. Just got to reading "Designing Great Beers" and it has got me light years ahead of where I was in understanding different things. I took detailed notes and when finished I'll go back and type them up for handy reference.

Oh, to restate the question, is Magnum an acceptable hop in competition for German Bock. Just wanted to make sure that isn't lost in the shuffle.

Oh, to restate the question, is Magnum an acceptable hop in competition for German Bock. Just wanted to make sure that isn't lost in the shuffle.

Absolutely. Magnum hops are a high AAU hop variety from Germany. Some are grown in the US, some are grown in Germany. Mine (I have over a pound) are from Germany.

Latest posts

Back