make the cider a little sweeter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The local homebrew store (Midwest) actually recommended that I use WYeast's Whitbread 1099 for a batch of cider. It's an ale yeast so I'm not completely sure what the rationale on recommending it to me was but I believe it had something to do with being a little more fruity and not so aggressively eating the sugars.....leaving it sweet and not as dry. I was skeptical but I just cracked the first bottle of it this weekend and I must say it was a little sweeter than when I use the Wyeast's traditional Cider yeast. Worth a shot.

Tielson's said:
What other yeasts can be used to make mt cider sweeter

you could use the same yeast your using and add lactose to it. Also I think there is a apfelwein thread floating around where the guy made 5 batches with 5 seperate yeast strains and I believe he said the WL300 hefe yeast made it very tropical but im not sure of the number it may have been a smack pack I'll try to find it for you.

Edit: ok found it here is the link http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=29003&highlight=apfelwein

he used Wyeast 3068

Back