Coconut porter recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessej122

Reaction score
10 lbs Maris Otter
1lb Chocolate Malt
1 lb Munich 10
8 oz carafa II
6 oz Belgian special B
8 oz oats malted

.5 oz nugget @ 60 min

.5oz crystal @ 20 min
.5oz willmette @ 20 min
.5 oz cascade @ 20 min
.5 oz crystal @ 1 min
.5 oz willamette @1 min
.5 oz cascade @ 1 min

Mash at 156 for 60 min

Toast 1 lb coconut flakes and add to secondary

Found this recipe online tweaked slightly but want to make sure it fits the style and suggestions on a yeast for a porter also

I would recommend against adding the coconut flake loose. I just finished a coconut beer, .5lb in mash and .5 lb in boil. I had planned on .5 lb in the secondary but found the aroma and taste to be spot on with what I was looking for so I skipped it.

Ok, so I found the loose flake to be a real bear to work with for a few reasons.

* It puts out a lot of oil which made my siphon very ineffective
* A lot of my coconut suspended and didn't drop to the bottom (This kind of flabbergasted me)
* Obviously could not wash the yeast afterwards (If this matters to you)
* Cleanup was neigh impossible with the mess that this **** causes

My next batch will involve boiling my coconut in 1g of water for 60 min to extract as much flavor as I can. I will then refrigerate the liquid to solidify the fats left by the coconut and then strain it out - leaving the coconut flavored water. I will be using this water in the mash or secondary.

Feel free to do what you want. I just wanted to share my mistakes to hopefully help lead you down a path more in line with success ;)

Back