OG Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldskooler

Supporting member
Reaction score
I just finished a batch of Northern Brewers Irish Red Ale Kit. The OG was 1.042 is this OK. I have been looking for what it should be, but I can't find it. Noobie question I know, sorry.

BJCP guidelines give a range of 1.044 - 1.060. So you are only a tiny bit light. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Was the 1.042 a measurement, or the recipe specs?

You added top off water and actually got a really food mix but not good enough to match the stated OG. Assume what the recipe gave you.

Unless you really messed up measuring your volumes the OG reading is only port due to the mice of water and wort

Frazier, I took the measurement. Thanks to everyone for the help. I was anal about following the recipe and instructions. I'm hooked..

Fall-line,thank you. I don't believe I missed that. Oh man I owe all you guys a brew!

BJCP guidelines give a range of 1.044 - 1.060. So you are only a tiny bit light. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Was the 1.042 a measurement, or the recipe specs?

It was the measurement corrected for temp

You added top off water and actually got a really food mix but not good enough to match the stated OG. Assume what the recipe gave you.

Unless you really messed up measuring your volumes the OG reading is only port due to the mice of water and wort

This. If you used all the extract and hit your volume, you HAVE to have the number called for in the recipe.

Latest posts

Back