boil kettle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewmedic23

Reaction score
So I just got my three keg AG setup finished and I did a dry run (just water) to test everything. Once I got to draining the boil kettle I noticed that about a gallon or two of water was still in the BK. I'll put up a picture in a few of the hardware but how is this supposed to work?

do you have a dip tube? If not get one. If you do have one you need to remember that the siphon effect will only work if the end of the tube you attach to the output of your kettle is lower than the bottom of the dip tube and let the flow continue once it starts.

Not the best picture but the end of the tube is about an inch off of the bottom

ForumRunner_20121027_154817.jpg

Yes I do but the diptube doesn't go down to the bottom of the kettle unlike my MLT which gets every drop out.

The seal is good but what I'm saying is what about the other gallon of wort left on the bottom? or will it be trub and stuff? I just feel like its a lot to leave behind in the BK

The seal is good but what I'm saying is what about the other gallon of wort left on the bottom? or will it be trub and stuff? I just feel like its a lot to leave behind in the BK

It is a lot to leave behind. I leave about a quart, maybe two in a hoppy beer. There's nothing wrong with leaving a lot behind, but you could adjust your diptube to get more if you wanted.

If you are letting it free fall from the ball valve into a fermenter, then you will not pull a siphon and your dip tube will not work. You need tubing coming off the ball valve where the end of the tubing is lower than the pickup tube.

Back