Questions about a WB-06 Hoppy Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
Grain:
3# Torrified Wheat (Briess)
2#-12 oz American Two-row Pale
1#-8 oz Honey
4 oz American Crystal 60L

Hops:
.5 oz Apollo - 20 min
.5 oz Apollo - 10 min
1.5 oz Cascade - dry hop

Yeast:
Fermentis WB-06

1.045 OG
23 IBUsf
4.5% abv

Never used the WB-06 before and have read mixed reviews on it's ability to produce German hefeweizen character. The knock being it doesn't give off enough phenols I thought it'd probably fit pretty well into this concept of a somewhat mild hop-burst/dry hopped wheat beer. Thoughts on the combo of WB-06 with US hops? Almost forgot, should I do a protein rest? I'm planning on it but am not overly familiar with torrified wheat.

I've used wb06 in a hoppy wheat beer. The end result was a good beer. The yeast produced some light banana and a mild clove/spice flavor that faded after about a month. I don't think it makes a good Hefe, but it makes a good wheat beer if you want the yeast flavors to be muted compared to a Hefe.

Thanks MrTipsy. Was hoping someone would have experience with this. I won this yeast as part of winnings from a HB competition, just wanting to use it. Fwiw I LOVE hefeweizens but don't think I'd be very pleased with what this yeast produces so I didn't go that route. Does this yeast stay in suspension producing a hefe-like-haze?

I cold crashed it for two days before bottling and the beer was slightly hazy for about a month. The cold crashed yeast cake was quite large compared to others. By month two, it was fairly clear, much clearer than the typical wheat beer and there wasn't much sediment. I didn't use any whirlfloc or finings.

I did three weeks in the primary, cold crashed for two days and bottled. It was an 8% beer.

I just made a Blue Moon clone with it. Still hazy after a month in the keg. I like the mild banana/clove flavor, I think it would do well with the hops.

Latest posts

Back