Hard Mountain Dew experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ottis

Reaction score
I thought I'd try something a little different and share the results. This is my first try so the recipe needs some tweaking.

Otis' Hard Mt Dew

for 2 gal fermenter (1.75 gal)

--------

2 cans lemonade concentrate (no preservatives)

1 can limeade concentrate

1/2 lb cane sugar

1/2 cup (abt 4 oz) ultra light dme

1/2 pack ale yeast

1tps yeast nutrient

I mixed the sugar, dme and yeast nutrient in a pot of warm water. I poured that in my two gal fermenter, mixed in the juice concentrate and topped up to the 1 3/4 gal mark. I then pitched my hydrated yeast.
I had hydrated the 1/2 pack ale yeast in some water and lemonade concentrate as described elsewhere in this forum.

------Two weeks later;---------

stopped bubbling after abt 12 days.

racked to my 6.5gal bottling bucket, then added;

1 can orange juice concentrate

1 gal water

3 cups cane sugar

Bottled, made 25 12oz bottles and 1 16oz bottle.

NOTE; I used cane sugar and OJ concentrate to backsweeten planning to pasteurize (as per the sticky) once it carbonated to a good level, instead of using splenda and priming sugar.

----One week after bottling, (now)---

Carbing well, and between me and my friends it's going fast. so I just stuck what's left in my beer fridge (28f) to keep it from carbing further, it wont last too long.. :)

The taste? well it tastes a lot like Mt Dew soda, not quite sweet enough so another cup of sugar (or two, MD is purdy sweet) at bottling might do the trick. Also the pulp from the juice concentrate is settling to the bottom of the bottles, but it doesn't hurt anything, filtering at bottling time would get rid of that if it bothers anyone. Other then that the color is wrong, kind of yellow orange, food coloring would take care of that.
I guess the ABV is around 6%, but I didn't take a gravity reading, this little project was just a spur-of-the moment thing, the next batch will be a little more thought out.

Happy Brewing!

Hey ottis did you ever make a revised version of this or did you stick with the original recipe....

sounds delicious, not really a cider because there are no apples but I can see the similarities, low ABV sweet, carbonated... sound a lot like a Mountain Dew wine cooler

#tag#winecoolers, hard soda, hard lemonade & more

That's........ horrifying :D

Thanks paulie for digging it up - I'm following too now.

I feel like we could definitely have a winecooler/other subforum, but I'd be ashamed to post there unless it's members-only lol

I feel like we could definitely have a winecooler/other subforum, but I'd be ashamed to post there unless it's members-only lol

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f22/new-forum-requests-107098/index6.html

I went to the "new forum request" part of the forum and made a request for a "wine cooler" sub-section and now I am doing the work and taging any posts or replys I make that would fall under the catigory of "winecooler"

I have to say I HATE the name!! For a lot of us the image of a wine cooler is negative, but I am not sure what else to call it. its not cider because it has no apples, its not really wine (it is wine, just like cider but is different from wine the same way cider is different from wine) Maybe... hard soda, or hard and sweet, nothing fits the bill like winecooler. here is a condensed repost of several posts I put on the "new forum request" section

01-02-11
I spend most of my time in the "wine" and "cider" sections, because my interests lie some where in between. In the cider section I have seen several posts asking about "other fruit" ciders, some of them are another fruit plus apples so still a cider but others have nothing to do with apples and are being thought of as "cider" by the poster, because of the lower alcohol content, sweetness and or carbonation. The responses to these threads are always helpful but usually something is said to the effect of "if it does not have apples it is not a cider"

01-03-11
You could make a bunch different definitions for different categories but there wild still probable be a bunch of crossover. The real key to "defining" a beverage is how it is perceived. If some one said to you "would you like some raspberry wine?" there is an image that comes to mind, dry, still, tart, smooth, and with a higher alcohol content than beer, or cider. Now with this picture in your mind of expecting a wine, and a raspberry "wine cooler" was set in front of you would it fit the bill??? probably not because the perception is different. On the flip side if some one said to you "would you like some raspberry cider?" there is again an image that comes to mind, sweet, carbonated, tart, smooth, a lower alcohol content than that of wine AND a dominant apple flavor with a hint of raspberry. Now with this picture in your mind of expecting a cider, and a raspberry only wine cooler was set in front of you would it fit the bill??? again probably not because the general perception of cider is apples.

I think a "wine cooler" is far closer to a cider than a wine, so it doesn't really fit in the wine section, but the perception of apples in cider makes it not fit the cider category either. A wine cooler is something unique

Stick it where ever you put hard lemonade... Or maybe there should be a hard soda thread and it should be called lollywaters

Stick it where ever you put hard lemonade... Or maybe there should be a hard soda thread and it should be called lollywaters

Exactly!!! where do you put hard lemonade??? Its not cider no apples, but not really wine either so maybe as new section that is:

wincollers, hard soda, hard lemonade & more

I thought I'd try something a little different and share the results. This is my first try so the recipe needs some tweaking.

I know this is an old post but I'm curious if your still using this recipe and what modifications you've done with it.

Back