Stick-on (liquid crystal?) thermometer placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopEd

Reaction score
Does it matter where on a plastic, bucket fermenter you place the stick-on (liquid crystal?) thermometer?

Mine is stuck on such that the bottom of the thermometer is 6.5 inches from the bottom of the fermenter. I have seen pics of people's carboys were the thermometer is stuck near the bottom of the carboy.

I would say that the placement is not critical. I placed mine so that they were basically in the middle of the liquid level.

DSC02180.jpg

I don't think it matters much as long as it is well below the top of the liquid that is in the carboy/bucket. You should get the most accurate temp reading when there is liquid and not air on the other side of the thermometer.

Cheers! :mug:

Keep in mind that you need to place the thermometer high enough so that if you have to use a water bath the strip isn't underwater. They're pretty much useless then.

Chad

d*mn... I have one under water now (hard to avoid with a 1 gallon jug in a water bath...)... They said waterPROOF, so I thought I might get away with it...

It is still currently giving the temp, but the part that has been underwater, while still sticking, is developing some light/white areas around the temps that "move" or change when I press or rub across them... http://www.williamsbrewing.com/STRIP-THERMOMETER-P538.aspx

Try putting clear packing tape over your fermometer strips. That may make them a little more "water proof". I usually place my strips in the middle of the carboy / bucket, or wherever the middle of the beer would be.

Try putting clear packing tape over your fermometer strips. That may make them a little more "water proof". I usually place my strips in the middle of the carboy / bucket, or wherever the middle of the beer would be.
Someone else may have gotten that to work, but I tried clear packing tape and the thermometer still died after a week-long soak in the swamp cooler. I'm personally just going to use the stick-ons on bulk aging carboys from now on, and use a thermometer probe taped to the side of my fermenter for primary.

both ideas sound good... seeing as I have already stuck the thermometer on the jug, I will heed bainbridge's advice! I was was actually getting ready to go do exactly that before I noticed the responses... a little further reading on the site led me to a similar conclusion.

thanks guys... this site is great.

yeah... on the 1 gallon jug at both top and bottom it's a bit too long to stick perfectly... hopefully slapping on the packaging tape will keep it going for a while... I'll try to avoid bathing this one again if it seems to work when I rack the mead again... or if the tape keeps the water out I won't worry about it!

Thanks again.

Back