Banjo Burner heat shield build. (lots of pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Espi

Reaction score
I am in the process of collecting/building a brew stand.

I farted around in the garage tonight and here is what I ended up with.

burners_second.jpg

These are the Northern Brewer burners.

The diameter of these burners are 11 inches. I stopped by the metal supply store after work and they sheared 22 gauge flat sheet steel for me while I waited to the dimensions I wanted. 35" by 6"

burners_raw_sheet.jpg

This is actually the second shield I did. I marked everything out, cut the large hole in the center and then drilled my adjustment mounting holes.

burners_lay_out.jpg

Then rolled it over a corny.

burners_corny_roll.jpg

Till I ended up with this...

burners_after_roll.jpg

Here it is finished..well kinda. My welder is out on loan to a car buddy at the moment. Once he is done with it, I will butt weld the joints.. As you will see in the pics that follow. These two burners diameters differ in size. The casting on the mounting points have a lot of extra material on them. I will clean that up with the grinder and everything should work out well.

burners_second.jpg

burners_first.jpg

burners_fourth.jpg

burners_two_done.jpg

I will follow up when the welds are done and all that.

My plan is to have then jet hot coated separate from the brew stand and bolt them in.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I think if I would do it different, I would have got the metal cut a bit longer. Or at least cleaned up the burners prior to drilling holes.

I will make it work and it will work good when its all said and done. It will just be more work in the end.

Scott

Thanks, but its really not that hard... I pretty much did it with a drill, hole saw, hand shears, tape measure and speed square..

burners_third.jpg

The adjustment holes are one inch apart and the top setting puts the base of the burner at one inch below the top of the shield.

I ain't never done this before and have some flat bottom pots and and in the process of converting a keg for my brew pot so I am hoping to get any adjustment I may need.

Pretty sexy for low tech! I'm putting together a 25 gallon system right now and wondering if a shield this diameter would be sufficient for heating my pot with a 20" diameter. Anyone?

Low tech for sure.. I talked to a metal guy. He wanted a ton of money to make these. I am sure they would have looked nicer.

I paid 16 bucks for the material and to have them shear it to the size I wanted.

I will butt weld the joints then hammer and dolly some of the major wavey spots and figure out how to coat them.

I was thinking of jet hot coating them but wonder how that will hold up to the flexing that may occur. Same with powder coating.

I will prolly just use heat paint and cure it in the oven and see how that does.

I was thinking of jet hot coating them but wonder how that will hold up to the flexing that may occur. Same with powder coating.

I will prolly just use heat paint and cure it in the oven and see how that does.

I wonder what it takes, i used rustoleum on my current stand and that **** burnt off in no time. Also i cut the legs off some bayou burners and welded them to my stand, even the paint they use burns off after the first use.

Low tech for sure.. I talked to a metal guy. He wanted a ton of money to make these. I am sure they would have looked nicer.

I paid 16 bucks for the material and to have them shear it to the size I wanted.

I will butt weld the joints then hammer and dolly some of the major wavey spots and figure out how to coat them.

Maybe consider them $16 prototypes. I can't see any kind of coating holding up to the heat. Look in to getting the metal shop to cut out some stainless for you. As a bonus, you get to practice welding stainless.

Nice job for "farting around"

Stainless steel unpainted would be my choice of materials, having burned off too much paint on my stand several times.

I am starting the stand build this weekend.

I think I will just install them and see how they work. If I need to make any changes I can do it easily then once I find out what seems to work best for me make them in stainless.

Something makes me think my little mission to upgrade is going to turn into a bigger project.

Works for me.

Something makes me think my little mission to upgrade is going to turn into a bigger project.
QUOTE]

and on and on it goes....

"Give a man a beer and he's occupied for a half hour, teach him to brew beer and he's occupied for a lifetime!" :mug:

thats what I was thinking Bobby M.. if it doesn't oh well, I am just out the couple bucks for a can of paint. The more I think about it though, I am going to go stainless down the road just for the cool guy points.:D

Look's like mine.
img1354f.jpg

Oh yeah right... mine look nothing like those hunks of junk. haha Awesome set up!

I remember your thread and searched for it but couldn't find it.

What is the distance from the burner tops to the top of your shields? How does it work?

Again, Great looking rig.

Oh yeah right... mine look nothing like those hunks of junk. haha Awesome set up!

I remember your thread and searched for it but couldn't find it.

What is the distance from the burner tops to the top of your shields? How does it work?

Again, Great looking rig.

Sorry it is a piece of crap isn't it . I think my burners are at 5.5 inches and they work great.
I'm going to build a single tier two pump rims system next month and use the same design.

Pat

I do powder coating and recommend against it for the shields. Regular PC will only get you to 600 degrees and only for small shots. High temp PC's max out @ 1200. You could have them ceramic coated. It's applied as a liquid and cured in an oven. It's able to handle automotive headers so it should handle the temps you'll see.
Personally I vote for bare metal.

Strong work. The banjos are a real PITA to mount and create heat shields for. You made this look easy!

Hi Espi,

Very nice job. I just picked up my single tier from the welder and need to fabricate a set of these, also.

I am going to use stainless and was wondering if you found the 22 gauge sheet to be the right thickness?

I'll be mounting them on the following burner brackets:

Stand as Delivered 2.jpg

Yeah I would agree with lehr.. a little thicker would be nicer for sure. I think these will work for the time being but my plans are to have some stainless ones made in a thicker material.

Here's the poor mans version..

Yours looks way more perty. It'll work good though. The shroud improved heat retention & boil time.

Nice job!

Shroud.jpg

Shroud Pot.jpg

These all look nice but Jknapp’s version seems like it might fit my budget…maybe.

Jknapp, what did you use? It kind of looks like a galvanized bucket cut to fit…?

Nice job lehr. Have you had a chance to fire up your burners yet. I’m curious because I did a similar design a while back and had a hard time getting the burner exhaust out. It was choking the flame once the kettle was on.

I use kegs so the skirts let it exhaust the hot air out.
Her it is done.
img144121.jpg

Espi.. Great work... Do you have measurements or a template for the mounting holes? Also, did you ever mount these and if so how did you with teh screen attached? I am in the middle of a single tier stand and am at the Banjo burner mount junction.. I love your windscreen and I am struggling with mounting to stand with screens attached.

Espi.. Great work... Do you have measurements or a template for the mounting holes? Also, did you ever mount these and if so how did you with teh screen attached? I am in the middle of a single tier stand and am at the Banjo burner mount junction.. I love your windscreen and I am struggling with mounting to stand with screens attached.
I went back and forth over making them or buying them. I ended up buying the Brewers Hardware pieces and they are really nice piece for $26/ea.
smugshot_9452667-XL.jpg

I went back and forth over making them or buying them. I ended up buying the Brewers Hardware pieces and they are really nice piece for $26/ea.
smugshot_9452667-XL.jpg

just ordered couple of these just before i saw your post. how are they working out?

smugshot_9452667-XL.jpg

Question for ya. I bought the same shields and have it mounted pretty much flush to the top of my brewstand so my kettles sit directly on them, similar to how you have yours. Alot of my flame is coming back down and around my shields. Just wondering if you're having the same issue. Some people have told me to move the shields down a bit to leave an air gap.

My shields are flush with the top of my stand. Never any issues with what you describe. I am not a fan of the open backside like they recommend. It looses a lot of efficiency if it's outdoors and even a mild breeze comes by. I brew in my garage 100% of the time because of this and I'd rather be in the driveway or patio when it's nice out. Other than that design issue I love them. If I were to redo my stand I would close off 75% of the backside or wrap the shield all the way around.

ESPI, I really like this thanks. I am building a simular stand to Blichmans stand. This is my answer to how I will make the shroud now I need to figure what the pot will sit on.

I'm starting a build soon, and I would love to get an opinion on the depth you guys are mounting your banjo burners. I see everyone putting adjustable slots, but I'm guessing no one moves them once they find the right depth.....so anyone want to share? I'd love to just mount mine and be done with them.

Good looking shields by the way!

burners_second.jpg

These are the Northern Brewer burners.

The diameter of these burners are 11 inches. I stopped by the metal supply store after work and they sheared 22 gauge flat sheet steel for me while I waited to the dimensions I wanted. 35" by 6"

burners_raw_sheet.jpg

This is actually the second shield I did. I marked everything out, cut the large hole in the center and then drilled my adjustment mounting holes.

Then rolled it over a corny.

burners_corny_roll.jpg

Till I ended up with this...

burners_after_roll.jpg

burners_second.jpg

burners_first.jpg

burners_fourth.jpg

burners_two_done.jpg
How did you figure the length of metal you needed to fit around your burner and what's a corny?

A "corny" is a "keg" associated with the soft drink industry from the 1950s up to the point they switched to "Bag In Box" delivery systems (roughly the previous decade). In this case the point is the diameter: a ball lock keg is ~8.5" diameter which can provide a handy bending form - in this example provided for a burner shield :)

Cheers!

How did you figure the length of metal you needed to fit around your burner and what's a corny?

most people eat popcorn on this sorta thing! but i prefer π! ;)

edit: and oh hell, measure the burner across to get the diameter (halve that to get the radius, then multiply it by 3.14, or something similar to that....)

Welcome! :mug:

a ball lock keg is ~8.5" diameter which can provide a handy bending form

so to find the right length.... just double checked... (4.25x3.14)2=26.7?

edit: maybe you just need the diameter? what's radius for then? the angle curve?

edit 2: wait is the radius what you use for tangent and sine for trig? been a while since i needed them.....

Last edited:
Back