Another back sweeten thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benchwrmr22

Reaction score
So I've been searching the forums and I can't really find a specific amount needed to back sweeten the cider I have in my primary when it comes to bottling time. I have read all the posts about splenda, lactose and apple juice concentrate and I was wondering exactly how much I would need of each if I wanted to back sweeten my cider (4gallons). I used S-04 Ale yeast and it dried it out a little too much.

Thanks

So I've been searching the forums and I can't really find a specific amount needed to back sweeten the cider I have in my primary when it comes to bottling time. I have read all the posts about splenda, lactose and apple juice concentrate and I was wondering exactly how much I would need of each if I wanted to back sweeten my cider (4gallons). I used S-04 Ale yeast and it dried it out a little too much.

Thanks

I think it really comes down to how sweet you like it. I just bottled my first batch (1 1/2 gallons) and when it came time to back sweeten it, did a combination of apple juice concentrate (1 lg can) and lactose (1 c.) for body. It really didn't have the zing I was looking for so I added about a 1/2 cup of brown sugar. I just kept tasting it through out the adding until I got to the point where I was happy with the way it was.

Next time I am going try sweetening it up front before fermentation and see how I like that. Much depends on your personal preferences.

What kind of Splenda are you thinking about using, each form (packets, baking, bulk package, etc.) is a little bit different.

As MeadWitch said, a lot comes down to personal taste. Take a glass and sweeten until it is just right, then scale that up to the full batch.

Back